Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

couple new test patterns

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Taking some advice I recently got into consideration I decided to make a couple new flies, a rabbit strip streamer and an imitation baby bass

Attached Files

"id rather be tried by twelve than carried by six"...unknown

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid"... John Wayne

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"...Thomas Jefferson

#2 Red John

Red John

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

I like the baby bass one!. But feel it needs some eyes.

I Like making baitfish imitations with the Double bunny style. although being the moron I am. I order crosscut strips not knowing the differnce...

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

Those should attract attention from a few big predators.

Just on a side "note,"  Be careful when using money for size comparison.  There are strict laws governing what is acceptable when photographing paper notes.  Since each of your pictures is only one sided, they are, by themselves okay.  But I think you used the back side of the bill on another photo, which then can render them illegal.

I'm no conspiracy theorist ... and I certainly don't believe there are government agents monitoring this site for pictures of money ... or protected species feathers and fur pictures ... but you never know.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

Red john- i did that a couple of times but what I do know is to buy a bag full of scraps, it's dirt cheap (1.75 for a gallon bag) and I welded up a tool to cut them so I can make crosscut or zonker strips depending on what i need,  I can post a picture of that tool if you're interested

mikechell- thanks for the heads up on the dollar bill thing, never would've figured that could be infringing any laws, now I've gotta find something else to use for a size reference

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"...Thomas Jefferson

#5 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

A ruler works real well.

#6 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Well that's not very out of the box now is it

#7 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

A ruler works real well.

I agree.

Well that's not very out of the box now is it

Be careful how "out of the box" you go, sometimes.  Like the dollar bill thing, you could end up in deep trouble.  On the other hand, if you were to use, say ... a ruler with "Hooter's" girls on it ...

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 Red John

Red John

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Red john- i did that a couple of times but what I do know is to buy a bag full of scraps, it's dirt cheap (1.75 for a gallon bag) and I welded up a tool to cut them so I can make crosscut or zonker strips depending on what i need,  I can post a picture of that tool if you're interested

I know this Is a really old post, Howevee I would like to see this tool.

Also were do you buy the scraps?

#9 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

Red John, there are various sources for fur scraps. Wapsi & some of the other tying materials suppliers have assortments so that's one option. Furriers & taxidermists are another who may have scraps they're willing to sell. There are sellers on Ebay who often offer fur scraps, or check out Etsy, as there are sellers there too who have such items. 

Now, I'm assuming you're in the U.S.?  Many of these natural fur items can be sold within the U.S., but not outside of the country, or in many cases imported into the country so that's something to consider if you're buying via online where the items would be shipped. There are some very strict laws about this so be sure before you buy.

One other thing, if you intend to cut strips such as for zonkers, be sure the hide/pelt is garment tanned. Not all tanning processes hold up well to water. If you're making dubbing & cutting the hair from the hide, then it's not an issue. Some Ebay sellers will say in their descriptions that a hide is tanned, but that's no guarantee it's suitable for use in tying flies. Best to ask questions too before you buy. 

#10 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

Just now saw that post redjohn, I'll try and get a picture up tomorrow, I get the scraps as a bundle bag at cabelas, i'm a sucker for a good deal and a gallon sized bag of rabbit fur for $1.75 was too good to pass up. And to clarify on my whole size out of the box fixation thing, personally when i see a picture of a fly next to a ruler it's tough for me to visualize it's real world size but when it's next to an object i can understand it better, i wasn't trying to stir up the pot or anything just did it how i like it to be done for my own understanding if you could follow that at all

#11 timeflies

timeflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

Here's a picture of the tool that i made, just some razorblades and 1/8th inch flat stock, sorry for the crappy quality i took the pictures with my phone

Attached Files

#12 Red John

Red John

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:06 AM

Red John, there are various sources for fur scraps. Wapsi & some of the other tying materials suppliers have assortments so that's one option. Furriers & taxidermists are another who may have scraps they're willing to sell. There are sellers on Ebay who often offer fur scraps, or check out Etsy, as there are sellers there too who have such items. 

Now, I'm assuming you're in the U.S.?  Many of these natural fur items can be sold within the U.S., but not outside of the country, or in many cases imported into the country so that's something to consider if you're buying via online where the items would be shipped. There are some very strict laws about this so be sure before you buy.

One other thing, if you intend to cut strips such as for zonkers, be sure the hide/pelt is garment tanned. Not all tanning processes hold up well to water. If you're making dubbing & cutting the hair from the hide, then it's not an issue. Some Ebay sellers will say in their descriptions that a hide is tanned, but that's no guarantee it's suitable for use in tying flies. Best to ask questions too before you buy

Interesting, I'll be sure to remember that when buying furs online. Never really thought about that.

Just now saw that post redjohn, I'll try and get a picture up tomorrow, I get the scraps as a bundle bag at cabelas, i'm a sucker for a good deal and a gallon sized bag of rabbit fur for $1.75 was too good to pass up.

Sorry for the late reply don't get on here to offen.

I will be heading up to the local Cabelas within a few months to look at rifles. 

I'll look for those scraps!

For the last couple years I have been harvesting rabbits for a few years now and tanning the hides. However I find myself going threw them faster then I can tan them... unsure.png