Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First Attempt at Hangtimes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WVUontheFLY

WVUontheFLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

I decided to try my luck at tying the famous hangtime to see how I might do tying some hollow buck tail flies. I feel like they are a little too large in profile but I figure they will still fish for some musky and bass. Also I only have the purple grizzly hackle for now so I had to think of some color combos that would work together. Any critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Attached Files

#2 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

You are right, they are a bit bulky but I still like them. I actually like the first one the best. The one without the fish skull. Looks like something happened to turn them opaque or it's just the photograph. Try coating them with some UV resin or some Sally Hansens to see if that will restore the translucency.
Shoebop

#3 WVUontheFLY

WVUontheFLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

It was the adhesive I used. Super glue will turn them that way. I keep wanting to get some uv but then my cheapskateness kicks in. To reduce the bulk would i just need to make more wraps in front of the each reverse tie, use less hair or both? I only used about 3/4 a pencil diameter on each layer for these two

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,757 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

Those are SWEET !!!
I am sure they'll live up to the name, and hang in the water column for a long time.  Nice "dead stick" fly, sure to get attacked by any predator in the area.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

I like the last one better. It looks like it will move a little better.

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#6 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Nice flies, bet they'd catch fish, I especially like the second fly.

#7 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

What are you planning on fishing them for?

#8 WVUontheFLY

WVUontheFLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

I plan on fishing these for musky, northern pike, tiger musky, largemouth, smallmouth, and stripers on some of the local streams and rivers near me. If any other fish decide to take a bite I sure won't mind haha.

#9 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Nice, lucky for you to have tiger musky. Good luck, might use a few for bass and pikein my lake.

#10 WVUontheFLY

WVUontheFLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

The tigers aren't really that plentiful, but there are a few locations that have been stocked within WV so I can try and go after them, same thing goes with pike. But bass are every where I may go so hopefully I will get some nice bonus bass when fishing for the toothy beasties

#11 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Oh, good luck with the tigers, again nice flies.

#12 Nomad77

Nomad77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

Nice work...I just started tying hang times about a week ago for bass and musky. I am too cheap to buy UV glue, as well. I think I may like it here ;)