Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Greetings all!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheRadiant

TheRadiant

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

Greetings all...I have lurked here for a couple of years, looking at flies and trying to expand my knowledge of fly tying.  I have tied for about three years now and am completely addicted to it.  I live in extreme southern Alabama..very near to the coast and my dad taught to fly fish at a very early age.  I grew up fishing the local creeks and streams for gills and crackers with the occasional bass and white perch thrown in.  Over the years I became interested in inshore saltwater fishing and currently split my time between that and my passion for tying and then finding bream and various panfish in my home waters.  I wanted to introduce myself as I would like to begin posting some pictures of my ties.  I only tie for warmwater species..mostly bluegill and crappie.  99% of my ties are on #8 or #10 basic dry fly hooks.  Now, my fly photography sucks, but I am trying to do better with what I have.  Please feel free to critique,(albeit not too harshly..lol), I enjoy this forum for its civility and respect.  One other thing about my style... being a panfish purist I am not a traditional tyer in the sense that I use $50 capes and saddles for delicate dries and whatnot.  I really love using synthetics...in particular synthetic hackle materials.  I like lots of flash and fluorescent colors.  The panfish in my part of the world like bright attractor colors as well as traditional browns and blacks if you will...so don't be surprised to see some eye popping colors.  Many thanks to all...Shane    

Attached Files

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:54 AM

Welcome to the site, Shane.

Nice looking set of 'gill getters.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 crazy4oldcars

crazy4oldcars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Shane,

That purple gurgler is a thing of beauty, but I think my favorite is the 2-toned body on that first one.  

Welcome to the forum.

Kirk

#4 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

I haven't heard the term white perch in beaucoup years... that's what my dad called white crappie.  Both Mike and I sympathize with your philosophy regarding materials.  I use all kinds of weird stuff from sewing shops, craft stores, etc.  Whatever works.

I like those bees a lot.  Some day I'll get around to making some.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#5 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

Welcome to the forums.  Nothing wrong with tying what works.  Your photos are better than most.  Get some photo editing software to crop out the extra background.  Flies on a contrasting one color background are always easier to see.  I use Photoscape which is easy to use, and a free download.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#6 TheRadiant

TheRadiant

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

Cool..thanks everybody. Utyer, I downloaded PhotoScape this afternoon...gonna mess around with it some. 

#7 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

You'd save time and effort by preparing a clean background that completely fills your frame.   There have been some threads on this forum back a couple of months I think, that provided lots of info on taking good fly photos.  It most likely was in the Photography forum.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#8 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

That last fly is nice,I like all the flies from the pics but I really like the grey one.

#9 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

How many shades of grey is it, Tim?

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#10 Chuck McFarlane

Chuck McFarlane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:34 AM

Wow! Those are beautiful flies. I really like the Ginty style body with the long tail and the pink fly. Bet the gills just tear into them. Thanks for sharing that gives me some much needed ideas and motivation waiting for the water to warm up.

#11 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

Glad you decided to belly up to the bar! :) Welcome

Shoebop

#12 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

welcome!! you have a great set of flies there.

i'm the ghetto fly guy; enjoying the sport of kings, on a pauper's budget

if you have something to say, you'd better bring your own soapbox

i'm older than dirt, but younger than the universe