Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Yellow Perch

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:19 PM

Look up Fly Fishing for Perch in Denmark on Youtube.  They have monsters there that were putting hefty bends in 8 wt rods!

Rocco.

#32 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:50 PM

Steve-O...  I understand that WQ can affect the taste. (see my black crappie experience above).  Catfish farmers do a taste test of a few fish to decide whether to harvest them.  If they're off-taste, they take them off their feed for a day or so, and try again.

I probably should have said, given that all the species are taken from clean water, which do you like best.

As for catfish, I used Black Bullhead for my master's thesis research, so I'm much familiar with catfish.  Channel cats are great, especially small ones, where you can get them nice and crisp.  Bullheads are crap!  There are two species of saltwater catfish, and both live in Florida.  Hardhead cats are awful, both taste and texture.  Sail cats are absolutely great, but they're so big, they have to be cut into fillets.

Since you prefer cod and flounder, I'd categorize you as one of those that like fish to not taste like fish (i.e., fishy).  :-) 

Mike... take a trip down to Islamorada and have some conch chowder and yellowtail snapper, or some blackened Mahi.  The wife can settle for a hamburger.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#33 elderbarry

elderbarry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

I'm one of those guys who grew up fishing fresh and saltwater, and 50 years ago all fish was good to eat because it was fresh caught.  Today most "fresh" fish has been on ice or frozen for at least a week so you have to use your imagination in a restaurant.  So I salute those of you who go fishing where the fish is still "tasty" like it's supposed to be.  I used to go fishing in the Indian River Lagoon for a big seatrout or slot-limit (ridiculous) snook or maybe a big flounder.  Skin, fillet, and put on ice until I got home and fired up the grill--man, that's good eating!