Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Gobies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

I know that in many rivers and lakes gobies have become a nuisance, but bass love them, does anyone have a goby fly, or can I be directed to a site with a goby fly

#2 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

They have swarms of Gobi flies in the Gobi Desert.   :-)

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#3 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

Yep, that they do, I was looking for a fly fishing goby fly.

#4 BattenkillBum

BattenkillBum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

Arent they similar too a sculpin?

#5 Guest_rich mc_*

Guest_rich mc_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

check out the plastic gobies on the market.  poorboy baits makes a good one.    rich mc

#6 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:22 PM

check out the plastic gobies on the market.  poorboy baits makes a good one.    rich mc

He's looking for a fly. This is a FLY tying forum. Soft plastic baits are irrelevant here mister! That kinda talk oughta get you 100 warning points! :P jk of course. To the OP, I would think any sculpin pattern would imitate gobies too. If all else fails try wooly buggers and muddler minnows in the appropriate sizes and colors to match your local gobies :D
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#7 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the advice. Rich mc, like fisherboy said, fly tying forum, but I do fish with a spinning rod sometimes, thank you for your input.

#8 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

They both are bottom hugging fish.  But they "posture" is quite different.  Sculpins are "head down" ambush predators ... trying to blend in with the bottom.

[attachment=50493:Sculpin-londer.jpg]

Gobies are more active ... hunting smaller prey.  They are heads up, eyes swiveling, alert hunters.

[attachment=50494:goby.jpg]

Sculpin heads work well for that pattern.  Goby patterns would, I suspect, have more of a weighted tail, to allow the heads up posture.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 Guest_rich mc_*

Guest_rich mc_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

what I meant was to look at the plastic gobies then try to match it.  there are some gobie patterns that use a wool head and large eyes    rich mc

#10 jamesbrock3

jamesbrock3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Kelly Galloup's sex dungeon does a fantastic job to imitate these

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.