Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Extended Furled Foam Body:

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

I have seen, and tied plenty of extended foam bodies.  Mostly by tying the extended portion on a needle, and then tying that onto the hook.  

I have also tied up quite a few different furled bodies for worms, and leaches.  I thought why not try furling foam strips for an extended body?  

A 6" foam sheet cut to about an eighth inch, width and tied to a hook.  I then tied in a very thin piece of black darning yarn.  As I twisted the two together, the foam wrapped around the yarn in a tight spiral.  Once I had the body tightly wound, I carefully folded it to length, and tied in the other end.  Be careful when folding the twisted yarn and foam, or it will twist back on itself it can become a tiwisted mess.  It helps to fold the body over a dubbing needle and guide the body into a nice straight furled spiral.  

I tie in a separate piece of yarn for the thorax, and wind a black hackle up the hook for before pulling the thorax over the top.  Finally, I trim off the hackle on the bottom.  

This one is tied on a size 12 scud hook.

Its a prototype, and I have not fished it yet.  

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#2 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

Beautiful damsel Utyer. I too have done something similar to this. Careful not to twist it too tight. It'll compress the foam and sink like a rock.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>