Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

City Park Bass

Passed by my urban fishing spots on way to work and saw some fish swimming but couldn't get any to eat. Afternoon, clouds and drizzle set in so after work, I passed through the park for a little while and found some bass here and there busting on the edge of grass beds. Finally got this one to eat; really gentle sip - wasn't even sure the fish had it - it was at the extent of a fairly long cast, so I could hardly see the bug. I actually did a strip set to keep the fly in the water and the fly pulled back! The fish measured out to 17 1/2" - not bad for a New Orleans city fish.

3_18_15%20Bass-3-3_zpsmrrm1xvc.jpg

3_18_15%20Bass-2-2_zpsia0c7a2g.jpg

DSC_0321-10_zps2qg71cbn.jpg

DSC_0283-2_zpsmym62osc.jpg

I caught a few bass in your ponds and channels, Kirk. Mostly, though, I caught a lot of ciclids.

Two years ago. I was in New Orleans three times between 09 and 13, doing classes for the Coast Guard. Enough time has passed that there should be another class coming up sometime, soon.

Nice Bass, I've thought of fishing a pond in front of the hotel my company uses for meetings. It has twenty inch plus Koi. The only thing that has stopped me was the fact its ten feet from the main entrance to the hotel building and I might cause a scene as I'm pulling it out onto the concrete.

Thanks Tim, I added a couple shots of the fly for a better look. My favorite color pattern.

Portly, they may call the police on you, just dream.

Add, if I couldn't fish in town, I wouldn't get to wet a line nearly as often as I do. Its a life saver!

Living in an urban area and fortunately not far from, if I'm not mistaken, is the largest park within a city's limits in the country. No ponds in my area, just a nice creek. They stock it with trout in the spring and fall, but the warm water fishing is what draws me to it. More than once on other boards, I've seen posts saying, "I'm moving to Philadelphia, should I sell my fly rods." Here's a couple of reasons, why they shouldn't.

post-309-0-66028600-1426817396_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-14719300-1426817502_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-02699900-1426817553_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-18333600-1426817537_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-39665600-1426817602_thumb.jpg

As W. C. Fields once said "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia

Stevester, I fish New Orleans "City Park" and the adjacent Bayou St. John.

Philly, you're right, our City Park is the largest in the country. Although a good portion to the north of Filmore Dr. is the North golf course and off limits to fishing and just last week, the PGA grade golf course construction was approved for the east and west, which is going to make the area between Filmore and Harrison Ave. off limits to fishing. I just measured it on Google Earth and it is approximately 4.25 miles of shoreline that will be eliminated. Fortunately, there is still plenty of shoreline left. The "Big Bass Rodeo" (Oldest Bass Rodeo/Tournament in the country) will be in two weeks and you will see a surge of people fishing the park for a couple weeks after but for the rest of the year, there isn't much competition.

Those are some beautiful fish there Philly! I wish I had a creek to fish that was really close by. Funny how we fly fishers seem to find a way to test our flies out on fish!

Kirk