Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

pike flies

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:45 PM

hi there.

i think of found a great hole that might hold pike in my local river. these are probably fish that are be going to be med size in size. does anyone have any thoughts as to what flies and sizes? i'm looking for that first fish ;)

Art

i'm the ghetto fly guy; enjoying the sport of kings, on a pauper's budget

if you have something to say, you'd better bring your own soapbox

i'm older than dirt, but younger than the universe

#2 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

Something like these.

Kevin

Attached File  1427474757041.jpg   32.76KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Pike Fly 3.jpg   91.56KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Whitie.jpg   140.35KB   1 downloads

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#3 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

exactly like that, lol. i really like your flies. i'm still trying to figure out how you throw something that big on something other than a telephone pole and aircraft cable, lol.

do most of those use the reverse tying technique for the hair/bucktail?

are pike flies usually fished sub-surface?

are the three main characteristics i'll be looking for 1)movement 2)flash 3)creating water pressure?

i've opening a new door here, and will have a thousand questions about these flies and toothy critters.

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

We get Pickerel in Florida.  Smaller version of the pike, although the Chain Pickerel can get into the 30+ inches range.  I've never caught one on a fly, yet, but I've caught many on conventional gear.  One thing I know, if I hadn't had braid on, I'd have lost every one of them.  You'll need a short section of wire leader if you want to brig the fish to hand. 

Other than that, any bass fly will also get a pike hit.  Especially in small isolated pools.  Big fish in these pools don't get lots to eat, and will usually smash anything that looks like a big meal.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

Some of the fellas up in the Northeast that fish for pickerel use a fly called 'goldie' and they seem to catch a lot of them.

#6 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

exactly like that, lol. i really like your flies. i'm still trying to figure out how you throw something that big on something other than a telephone pole and aircraft cable, lol.

do most of those use the reverse tying technique for the hair/bucktail?

are pike flies usually fished sub-surface?

are the three main characteristics i'll be looking for 1)movement 2)flash 3)creating water pressure?

i've opening a new door here, and will have a thousand questions about these flies and toothy critters.

I use the reverse method a lot. One material I like and use alot is Kanekalon. 

Kevin

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#7 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

All white flies have produced most of my pike and chain pickerel I've caught, so I keep fishing them.

Attached File  IMG_0530_1.JPG   276.14KB   0 downloads Attached File  Chain Pickerel.jpg   93.61KB   0 downloads

A couple of the flies

Attached File  spey streamer 2.jpg   72.86KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Spey Streamer.jpg   87.75KB   1 downloads

Attached File  spey streamers.jpg   148.41KB   1 downloads

These range from 4 to 7 inches in length and the nice thing about them is you don't need a telephone pole and aircraft cable to throw them. I also tie them in yellow, red/white and chartreuse but the white works best.
I usually fish them with a straight piece of 20 to 30 lb fluorocarbon 6 to 8 feet long. If I do have a bite off, I'll add a bite tippet of 50 lb fluorocarbon.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#8 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

i tied a few flies using the reverse tie method. talk about a double wowie. i was able to tie a 13 cm (5") fly that is as light as a feather and just as easy to cast. the profile (an elongated teardrop)and movement (it wiggles and pulsates on the pause) in the water is out of this world!!

trying to get the hair to form a nice even cone is pretty tricky though. are there any tricks to doing this?

#9 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

is Kanelalon similar to Congo Hair, or Water Silk? i'm a pretty big fan of The Fly Tyer's Dungoen's prices and materials.

#10 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

is Kanelalon similar to Congo Hair, or Water Silk? i'm a pretty big fan of The Fly Tyer's Dungoen's prices and materials.

No its nothing like it. I use it as a big fly fiber sub and mix it with flash. It works like the Farrer materials.

Kevin

#11 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Artimus ... as far as I can tell, Kanelalon is similar to, if not actually, craft fur.  It is softer than the FTD Congo hair and silk.  You can get craft furs in all varieties and qualities.  The main difference I've noticed in quality is length. Higher quality means longer hairs.   Most have some "under fur" which is usually removed before tying in, but can be used for other purposes.  I recently learned how to tie a streamer using the long fibers for the tail and then using the underfur in a dubbing loop to create a trimmed head. 

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#12 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

i have a piece of craft fur that i haven't tried yet. using it for a big nasty pike fly seems like a great time to give it a go.

#13 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

not the best picture by far, but you get the jest of it.

Attached File  100_1132.JPG   70.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  100_1135.JPG   59.49KB   0 downloads

#14 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

great looking flies Philly. i'll be adding white and yellow ones as well soon.

#15 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:19 AM

Yea, Mike, that is exactly how I tie a fish catching shrimp pattern. Add some medium bead chain and whala! Specks seem to just love em. I also leave the long stuff in the dubbing loop.