Fly Tying

hi there.

i think of found a great hole that might hold pike in my local river. these are probably fish that are be going to be med size in size. does anyone have any thoughts as to what flies and sizes? i'm looking for that first fish ;)

Art

exactly like that, lol. i really like your flies. i'm still trying to figure out how you throw something that big on something other than a telephone pole and aircraft cable, lol.

do most of those use the reverse tying technique for the hair/bucktail?

are pike flies usually fished sub-surface?

are the three main characteristics i'll be looking for 1)movement 2)flash 3)creating water pressure?

i've opening a new door here, and will have a thousand questions about these flies and toothy critters.

We get Pickerel in Florida. Smaller version of the pike, although the Chain Pickerel can get into the 30+ inches range. I've never caught one on a fly, yet, but I've caught many on conventional gear. One thing I know, if I hadn't had braid on, I'd have lost every one of them. You'll need a short section of wire leader if you want to brig the fish to hand.

Other than that, any bass fly will also get a pike hit. Especially in small isolated pools. Big fish in these pools don't get lots to eat, and will usually smash anything that looks like a big meal.

Some of the fellas up in the Northeast that fish for pickerel use a fly called 'goldie' and they seem to catch a lot of them.

exactly like that, lol. i really like your flies. i'm still trying to figure out how you throw something that big on something other than a telephone pole and aircraft cable, lol.

do most of those use the reverse tying technique for the hair/bucktail?

are pike flies usually fished sub-surface?

are the three main characteristics i'll be looking for 1)movement 2)flash 3)creating water pressure?

i've opening a new door here, and will have a thousand questions about these flies and toothy critters.

I use the reverse method a lot. One material I like and use alot is Kanekalon.

Kevin

All white flies have produced most of my pike and chain pickerel I've caught, so I keep fishing them.

post-309-0-86108800-1432345761_thumb.jpg post-309-0-77646300-1432346739_thumb.jpg

A couple of the flies

post-309-0-26822600-1432345916_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-06203500-1432345994_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-13995600-1432345949_thumb.jpg

These range from 4 to 7 inches in length and the nice thing about them is you don't need a telephone pole and aircraft cable to throw them. I also tie them in yellow, red/white and chartreuse but the white works best.

I usually fish them with a straight piece of 20 to 30 lb fluorocarbon 6 to 8 feet long. If I do have a bite off, I'll add a bite tippet of 50 lb fluorocarbon.

i tied a few flies using the reverse tie method. talk about a double wowie. i was able to tie a 13 cm (5") fly that is as light as a feather and just as easy to cast. the profile (an elongated teardrop)and movement (it wiggles and pulsates on the pause) in the water is out of this world!!

trying to get the hair to form a nice even cone is pretty tricky though. are there any tricks to doing this?

is Kanelalon similar to Congo Hair, or Water Silk? i'm a pretty big fan of The Fly Tyer's Dungoen's prices and materials.

is Kanelalon similar to Congo Hair, or Water Silk? i'm a pretty big fan of The Fly Tyer's Dungoen's prices and materials.

No its nothing like it. I use it as a big fly fiber sub and mix it with flash. It works like the Farrer materials.

Kevin

Artimus ... as far as I can tell, Kanelalon is similar to, if not actually, craft fur. It is softer than the FTD Congo hair and silk. You can get craft furs in all varieties and qualities. The main difference I've noticed in quality is length. Higher quality means longer hairs. Most have some "under fur" which is usually removed before tying in, but can be used for other purposes. I recently learned how to tie a streamer using the long fibers for the tail and then using the underfur in a dubbing loop to create a trimmed head.

i have a piece of craft fur that i haven't tried yet. using it for a big nasty pike fly seems like a great time to give it a go.

Yea, Mike, that is exactly how I tie a fish catching shrimp pattern. Add some medium bead chain and whala! Specks seem to just love em. I also leave the long stuff in the dubbing loop.