Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

EP Bluegill and Perch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amras

amras

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

I just got some ep fibers and wanted to ask if anyone had any advise on tying bluegills and perch like the ones on puglisi's site or on orvis's site. I tied a bluegill and it turned out ok but not exactly what I wanted.

#2 heavynets

heavynets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

I tied this one using super hair. It's easy to tie, but takes some time. However, it's one of my best produces for catching large mouth and small mouth bass.

http://www.indyflyca...abybluegill.htm

#3 Big Fly Bob

Big Fly Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

I usually tie all mine in all white or pearl and color them in Prismatic colors. Works pretty well.

Attached Files

#4 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

There are a couple of styles of tying you can try one is "high tying" and the other is v-tying. Which will produce a wide body pattern like a sunfish.

This one is v-tied

Attached File  003.JPG   86.86KB   5 downloads

This one is high tied

Attached File  007.JPG   89.24KB   2 downloads

This one's also high tied with more spacing between where the material is tied in

Attached File  018.JPG   57.66KB   2 downloads

Varying the amount and spacing of the materials you can tie various body styles.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#5 Guest_rich mc_*

Guest_rich mc_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

I cant post a photo but have tied a good bluegill pattern copying tom nixons  calcasiou  pigboat boat.  used craft hair for the tail and bluegill colored silicone  for the body

rich mc