Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bowfin

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

So until I get out to the trout streams i thought I'd try and catch something different, something i've never caught before. 

Bowfin seemed like a interesting fish. I want to know how do you catch them? I know they can be quite aggressive, but if you have any tips on how to catch them, please reply. Thank you. 

#2 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

Of the few I've caught years ago on lures, seems they always went after something

loud and flashy. Not sure what sub-surface fly would fill the bill there. Maybe a lot

of tinsel tail and orange/black?

Funny how these more primitive fish can be so secretive,

and such a challenge to catch on a fly - carp, gar, bowfin....

You catch one on a fly, by all means post up here and expound away.

Always quit when you're through.

#3 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

I've caught them on everything from rubber worms, spinner baits, jerkbaits, rubber frogs, live worms, live and dead shiners and bluegill.

Look up the grinnel fly. Rabbit tail. Maybe some flash. Spun/stacked deer hair head.

Baitfish flies.

Look at tidewaters "creature" flies he has posted. They oughta work

Topwaters too. But stay calm on the first explosion they often miss and if you act like it didn't happen and keep retrieving, he'll smash it.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

I've never actually "targeted" Bowfin.  I've caught many ... mostly while fishing for bass, sometimes while fishing for Bluegill.  One of the largest ones, over 12 pounds, took a 1" Rapala on an ultra-light spinning rod.

I have caught a few while fly fishing, but again, they took a fly meant for bass or sunfish.  Whenever I do see one sitting in shallow water, I will cast to it.  If you put a fly in front of one, they will hit it.  They do have teeth, so be prepared to lose whatever fly you use.

I would recommend slow sinking/suspending flies with weed guards.  Bowfin like shallow water with some cover.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:38 PM

Topwaters too. But stay calm on the first explosion they often miss and if you act like it didn't happen and keep retrieving, he'll smash it.

Similar to trout then, make a rise, but won't hit it the first time around, good to know. Thanks for the patterns. 

Thanks everyone for the responses, if i catch one i'll upload a pic. If anyone else has any more info on the species please respond, I want all the information i can get. 

#6 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

I've never actually "targeted" Bowfin.  I've caught many ... mostly while fishing for bass, sometimes while fishing for Bluegill.  One of the largest ones, over 12 pounds, took a 1" Rapala on an ultra-light spinning rod.

I have caught a few while fly fishing, but again, they took a fly meant for bass or sunfish.  Whenever I do see one sitting in shallow water, I will cast to it.  If you put a fly in front of one, they will hit it.  They do have teeth, so be prepared to lose whatever fly you use.

I would recommend slow sinking/suspending flies with weed guards.  Bowfin like shallow water with some cover.

Thanks mike, im well aware of their teeth, thanks for info. I'll need to get weed guards, or try a mono weed guard, we'll see. Thanks again 

#7 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

I caught my largest bowfin, weighing in at 19lbs, in Lake Dora on a live bluegill. I have seen lost of them swimming around with bluegill and other small sunfish in their mouths. You might try an EP style baitfish or some wide style to imitate the deep bodies of those bait fish.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#8 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hmmm interesting fisherboy, unfortunately where I live you can't use "gamefish" as bait, and bluegill and sunfish both fall under that regulation. Which i don't understand, but oh well. Thanks for the pattern. 

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

check out Google/fly fishing bowfin & choupic

like getting a drink of water from a fire hydrant

here's a start

http://www.hookhack....0111bowfin.html

http://www.orvis.com...Lake-Champlain/

https://www.youtube....h?v=dKT9SLKiYe4

Always quit when you're through.

#10 elderbarry

elderbarry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

Illegal to use gamefish for bait in Florida also.  Now that he put it on the internet, the FFWC will read it and probably scoop him up!

#11 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

Actually, Elderberry, they can be used. 

This is directly off the FFWCC:

"Whole pickerel or panfish (e.g., bluegill, redear sunfish, redbreast sunfish, spotted sunfish, flier, warmouth) or parts thereof may be used as bait for sportfishing by the angler who caught them. Whole pickerel or bream or parts thereof may not be used as bait for trotlines or bush hooks or any method other than by rod and reel or pole and line."

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#12 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

Grinnel look prehistoric that can live in stagnant water/mud gulp for air like gar. They are plum mean! Grind/mangle the fly/lure w/teeth. People use their eggs like caviar. Fight hard and don't have a "handle".
1788.jpg
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#13 crazy4oldcars

crazy4oldcars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

Keep your hooks sharp, too.  They have a hard mouth.

Kirk B.

#14 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

Hey Denduke..... is that you?  Is that your pirogue?  Cool looking craft. 

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#15 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

Actually old pic when I was young. We built the peros Outa one sheet 1/4" marine pkywood, compound mitered ends, sheet rock nails, latex paint. I used that one for ten years....had to glass the bottom eventually.
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A