Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Suggestions for Crayfish Claws

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 JGF24

JGF24

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

Since seeing a scientific article or 2 about bass and crayfish and how bass prefer crayfish with reduced claws or a missing claw, I like the idea of fishing flies with either smaller claws or with one larger claw and one smaller. While I understand that claws are a prominent part of crayfish, maybe they should be less prominent on the flies we fish?

Rabbit (or squirrel) strips have been just fine for me, particularly the smaller versions. I generally cut off the fur from the first half or so of the strip. Otherwise, pheasant tail fibers on smaller flies work well as do the feather types above.

#17 [email protected]

[email protected]

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

i recon you could use foam?

#18 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

Denduke, nice job, say I saw very similar pattern many years ago in Fly Fisherman mag. Still a great one.

Pat Cohen uses ultra suede (I think), Color them with marker

Bruce Derington

#19 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

Thats where I got the idea and tweeked it
crayfish.jpg
IMG_00233.JPG
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#20 bad fish rising

bad fish rising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:07 AM

both of these crayfish have squirrel hair claws

Attached Files

BADFISH RISING

#21 Robert M

Robert M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Grizzly chickabou makes nice claws and can be clipped to segment them or tie knots at strategic locations.
" Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing - after they have exhausted all other possibilities "
--Winston Churchill --

Bob/Oldgoat

#22 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

Maybe better pic
161_0773.JPG

Those are awesome !!

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#23 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

I think most important is to have the claws show life, so impressionistic. In the past I've used marabou for the claws and a few turns of hackle for the legs but you guys are stirring my imagination here and increasing my desire to tie up a few crayfish for this summer. Beautiful renditions everyone !  I have some plastic green dumbbell eyes that have been just waiting for a place to use them too.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"