Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

2 questions for using 3 weight line

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

At least that's how I think it broke
cb27

#47 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

I fished a few 5wt rods  with 7wt lines regularly for years and even 8WF on occasion. I broke the one 5wt Orvis three or four times but never from casting.

The rodmaster that repairs my stuff says that any impact on graphite from badly cast flies or overhead limbs causes internal damages that latter snap, this makes sense to me. Carbon seems more brittle than fiberglass in this respect.

Math says that the guy casting a full 90' of 5wt line has more stress on the rod than casting 45' of 7wt line. At fishing distances of 30-40' up to half the cast distance is leader and rod itself. A rule of thumb would be to use a lighter overall line for long distance casting as opposed to close casting- thus the WF and shooting heads combined with running line.

#48 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

There is nothing wrong with casting a heavier line on a rod so long as you cast with out over loading the rod.  I've often casted heavy 7 or 8wt line on my wt. rod and load it properly at around 15 to 20 ft. of line and then shoot out another 15 ft. of line.  That's how I've bass fished with larger flies.  It works great, but I can't cast out a lot of line until I get myself a heavier rod.

Jeff