Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How advanced is your tying bench?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

Mine's just a porable kit. Nothing like what Mark Knapp has.

1. The captain is always right

2. It's the deckhand's fault

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,191 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

There's a thirteen page thread on benches.  Pictures from many members.

http://www.flytyingf...ow +your +bench

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

There's no rules, make it what you want it to be.

#4 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:36 PM

Right now mine's the kitchen counter...
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#5 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

My tying bench is any flat surface I can put my pedestal-based vise down, as long as it has 3 outlets for my lights, or one for a power strip.

Regards,

Scott

Canon Powershot SD750; Ott + 2 clamp-on lights

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

plain and simple. what more do you need

QZBDR3f.jpg

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#7 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

I've been tying "portable" since the '70s, the  kitchen table, coffee table, picnic table, wookshop bench, top of saw horses, set up on  top of the storage bin that makes it portable, pickup tailgate, whatever is available at the time.  If I got crazy and set up a dedicated work are just for flies I would have to buy all new tools and materials, so that I could keep being portable when traveling or camping or....

#8 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

Same here. I have no shortage of tying space or places or rooms for tying if I were inclined to tie in one place, which I'm not. I do have a tying bench in the laboratory but I prefer taking my portable tying station with just the material I'm going to be tying with around to different areas in or out of my house depending on my mood, the time of year and what others are doing. I'm a free range tier and I aim to keep my options open.

#9 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:54 AM

I tie where my vises land. Or clamps on in the case of travel. Usually a spot with half decent light.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#10 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:57 AM

I've been tying "portable" since the '70s, the  kitchen table, coffee table, picnic table, wookshop bench, top of saw horses, set up on  top of the storage bin that makes it portable, pickup tailgate, whatever is available at the time.  If I got crazy and set up a dedicated work are just for flies I would have to buy all new tools and materials, so that I could keep being portable when traveling or camping or....

If I didn't set up a dedicated work area just for flies, I would not have a work area.  BTDT.   I took space that really wasn't being used, and moved a desk in.  If I had to "drag out all of my stuff" to tie a few flies, it wouldn't  happen very often.  I've got the tooth picks, the razor blade, scissors, lacquer, Zap, etc., etc., like you all do.

Of course, I could "undedicate it" in 10 minutes, and have a writing desk for company.   Does that make it less dedicated? Not sure.  But in MY experience, if everything is ready to go, I'll tie more.  Sometimes I leave the guitar in the middle of the floor for the same reason--it gets played more that way.  YMMV, but this is my experience.    My wife left a broken chair upside down in the kitchen for the last week or so, and sure enough after I walked by it 5 or 10 times a day for a week, I got around to fixing it last night!  : )  I write stuff down and get more stuff done too. I find that it's all too easy to get through the day leaving things not done. YYMV.

I don't Even Think about tying on the road since there is no way that even one more thing will fit in the car!  : )

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:05 AM

I have a dedicated area in the room over the garage. Rarely used. I have a portable set up I use while watching TV with my wife. The only time she complains is if I drop a hook. I throw the vise and what I am working on when I travel.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#12 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

DSC_1147.JPG

My main bench, but I often tie on the kitchen table and watch hockey games.

#13 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

plain and simple. what more do you need

QZBDR3f.jpg

That is way more advanced then mine.

#14 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,191 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

So, show us yours !!!

That reads bad !!!

Fly tying set up ... show us YOUR fly tying set up.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#15 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

IMG_20191011_1058236_rewind.jpg

It's just a little portable kit.