Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Interview with Charlie Craven

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 primeflycompany

primeflycompany

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:03 PM

Hey everyone, 

I just wanted to share a post with the group. It's a pretty long interview I did with legendary fly tyer, author, and fly shop owner Charlie Craven, owner of Charlie's Fly Box discussing fly design, his thought process, and what he thinks people can do to tie better flies. I hope you enjoy- he's a hoot but you can't argue with results. 

Dan- owner Prime Fly

Owner of Prime Fly Company
www.primeflycompany.com
Instagram: @primeflycompany
Facebook @primeflycompany 

#2 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

NIce, Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#3 primeflycompany

primeflycompany

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

My pleasure. I have about 10 other interviews going up in the weeks to come, and new ones are being put together as we speak. 

I have interviews with tyers including Pat Dorsey, Jonathan Kiley of Fly Skinz, Gunnar Brammer, Andreas Andersson, Oskar Hagelin, Brian Kozminski, Brandon Bailes, Robert Strahl, Nacho Heredo, and Matt Grajewski (Adaptive Flies). 

Currently working on and planning interviews with Tim Barker (Planet  Trout blog), Rupert Harvey (UK Flies), Samuel Looper (Looper Flies), Josh Varner, Fabian Moulin, Josh Miller, Johnny Klepper, just to name a few. 

www.primeflycompany.com

#4 Park1

Park1

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

I look forward to checking them out! Any chance there is an A.K. Best interview in the works?

#5 primeflycompany

primeflycompany

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:26 AM

I look forward to checking them out! Any chance there is an A.K. Best interview in the works?

I would love to interview him. His book Production Fly Tying was the one source that helped me start my fly tying workshop. That said I dont have his contact information so Im not sure its possible.

www.primeflycompany.com

#6 DavidR

DavidR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:31 AM

I would love to interview him. His book Production Fly Tying was the one source that helped me start my fly tying workshop. That said I dont have his contact information so Im not sure its possible.

AK would be a good one, for much the same reason you stated. I’d imagine Charlie or Pat Dorsey would have some intel on catching up with him.

#7 Shmang

Shmang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

The Craven article was great -- nice job.  Your future list of interviews looks fantastic.

Kelly Gallop, Blaine Chocklett, Harrison Steeves, Harry Murray, Bob Clouser, and Chuck Kraft would be a few I might suggest for down the line.

Keep them coming.

Respect the resource

#8 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

Finally got a chance to read your interview. You got skills, man, keep those interviews going.
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#9 primeflycompany

primeflycompany

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

^Thank you to everyone who checked it out. Shmang- I agree, those would be incredible. I think Chuck Kraft would be pretty wild, his designs are pretty far out but just hammer fish. 

I haven't started letting people know, but I just published my interview with Pat Dorsey. 

www.primeflycompany.com

#10 Shmang

Shmang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

Daniel - Thanks for the Dorsey article - another fine interview. You have a knack for bringing out the passion in the the subject with your questions.

My favorite question was when you asked how many patterns he took to the water as that I something that I was wondering - with skills like that I would be he has a dozen of each pattern from size 18 to 26  and although tiny it all adds up. The photo of the box with all of the Prince Nymphs was cool.

Keep them coming...............

Respect the resource