Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

US Source For Knotted Pheasant Tail (Single)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:15 AM

I have been looking for a source for knotted pheasant tails. There are many places that sell them knotted in groups for hoppers and larger nymphs. I am looking for single knotted tails like Davey McPhail often uses. I watched his video on how to tie my own and I have done a few. But it's a pain in the arse and I'd love to find some stateside. Has anyone found them?

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

http://www.flytyingf...ic=87777&page=5

For a discussion of various how-to's, one in particular involving use of a bent paper clip in the vise...
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

Wow, that was easy.

#4 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Knot your own it's super simple. Here's how I do it.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=0wW321GgP90

I use a knit picker

https://www.moodfabr...AyABEgI6RPD_BwE

#5 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

I have this tool for knotting them. Of course you can't get it anymore. I have no idea how long they were sold, but it couldn't have been all that long. Look for tails that are 18 to 24 inches in length. Many of these will have fibers that are 2 to 2 1/2" in length. It's way easier to knot them if you have something to grab on to. You can do it with shorter fibers, but it's harder. A lady on eBay sells natural tails in small bunches this length quite often with the starting price around $7.99. Not all of them have the long fibers, but enough to tie a big bunch of legs and PTN's. 

Regards,

Mark

#6 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

In Nebraska, I can get Pheasant Tails no problem no cost. Im just too lazy to tie the knots. I will look at the videos you folks offered and maybe Ill like one of those methods. Thanks all.

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

buy the pre knotted pheasant tails and simply trim away the fibers until you get one left

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#8 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:45 AM

Well. Look at you thinking outside the box again. Depending on how lazy I feel after looking over the videos tomorrow, I might try that. My idea was to put a Pheasant in a box and shake it violently until the feathers were knotted.

#9 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

LOL, putting it the clothes dryer might be less of a workout. Actually throw all of the ingredients in and you might end up with completed flys in the lint trap.

Swamp

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

My idea was to put a Pheasant in a box and shake it violently until the feathers were knotted.

Well. Look at you thinking inside the box

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

#11 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

Or you can spend 1.49 and invest 3 seconds of your time per knot but who knows the box may work.

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:08 PM

since your lazy :) maybe a tool would help

https://www.youtube....h?v=1HeM9UH0GoE

#13 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Just goes to show you, you can get as simple or as technical as you want. (like most anything.)