Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fiskars curved scissors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:24 AM

I made a trip to wallyworld yesterday and saw these little gems in the craft dept, for 8$ it was worth a try. They have good sharp blades, not serrated but will see how the work with deer hair. Anyone else using these?

#2 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:03 AM

I use a lot of fiskars, curved and straight. Very happy with them and they resharpen well.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, inexpensive scissors from Wally World and CVS.  The only scissors I've got from "fly tying" companies were bought on sale or in a grab bag from a "flea market".

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

I have been using the 4 inch seamstress fiskar scissors for years

No need for so called specialty scissors in my opinion

xGepr42.jpg

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#5 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

I have that exact pair. Works as well as any other scissors Ive ever owned. Fly tying specific scissors are a sham, in my ever so humble opinion.

#6 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

I have a pair like that, but the finger holes  are child size. They stayed sharp a long time after getting them off my knuckles. Work ok if used only with pinky and palm, but other scissors that fit better work better. I think surgical scissors are still ~$4.  

#7 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

My scissors typically come from suture sets at the hospital. When one wears out I just grab one from the next laceration repair that comes in.

#8 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:58 AM

I need to make friends with people in the surgical field.