Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dick Surette's copper bug

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 r2732

r2732

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:54 PM

Has anyone tied this fly?  http://www.flyangler...ies/part186.php

Walt Ryan

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:46 AM

i have never heard of it until now so i have never tied it but probably will

have you tied it? please post a photo

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

It looks pretty good, I'm going to try it. I'd like to see you guy's renditions of it too.

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

walt

here is my version of the copper bug

i believe the the sequence of materials in the recipe is wrong

original recipe (wrong sequence in my opinion)

Hook:  Mustad #38941 or #9672, size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16.

Thread:  Brown monocord or brown pre-waxed nylon.

Tail:  Cock pheasant barbules.

Body:  Wrap abdomen with one layer of #30 copper wire (the type used for rewiring electrical motors), wrap thorax with two layers of same. Then wrap thorax with orange floss or silk, shape to basic nymph shape to size of hook. Wrap abdomen with single wrapping of copper wire.

Ribbing:  Peacock herl with fine overlay of fine gold oval tinsel. This will give added strength to the peacock herl.

Legs:  Brown hackle, trimmed top and bottom.

Covert:  Cock pheasant [wing case].

Thorax:  Peacock herl, tied full.

Recipe should read as follows (correct sequence in my opinion)

Hook:  Mustad #38941 or #9672, size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16.

Thread:  Brown monocord or brown pre-waxed nylon.

Tail:  Cock pheasant barbules.

Ribbing:  Peacock herl with fine overlay of fine gold oval tinsel. This will give added strength to the peacock herl.

Body:  Wrap the entire hook shank beginning at the bend to the eye with one layer of #30 copper wire then wrap the wire back toward the bend over the existing wire to form the thorax and wrap back toward the eye and tie off and trim the wire. the thorax area should have 3 layers if wire. see the wire body photo below 

Covert:  Cock pheasant [wing case].

Legs:  Brown hackle, trimmed top and bottom.

Thorax:  Peacock herl, tied full.

You have to tie on the tail, peacock herl and fine gold wire BEFORE tying the copper wire for the body and thorax.

Copper-Bug-Body-1080.jpg

Then the wincase should be tied on before the hackle and peacock herl thorax.

I totally omitted the floss or silk covering the thorax area. Its not needed as it will be covered by the peacock herl.

finished fly

Copper-Bug-1080.jpg

tying note: i think the hackle should be palmered over the entire peacock herl thorax for a better representation of a stonefly

#30 copper wire is roughly the same size as "brassie" ultra wire

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

#5 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

Is the gold wire used in the thorax? I wonder how it would look if you twisted it with the herl like Alec Jackson did. Just trying to think about strengthening the thorax herl.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#6 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

I like your version Flytire.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

Updated version

Copper-Bug-2-1080.jpg

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:52 AM

Is the gold wire used in the thorax? I wonder how it would look if you twisted it with the herl like Alec Jackson did. Just trying to think about strengthening the thorax herl.

Strengthen the herl with standard techniques

#9 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

I like your new one better.

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

My first photo was based on the original photo in the FAOL article in the link in post #1

Th second photo is based on what I think would be a better representation of legs in the thorax area

Both versions present weak ribbing with the peacock herl and fine gold wire. I dont know how many fish it would take to destroy these flies

#11 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

What if you overwraped the herl with a stand of wire, similar to how you would a woolly bugger.

#12 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

What if you overwraped the herl with a stand of wire, similar to how you would a woolly bugger.

Yep, he did.

#13 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

I over wrapped the herl on the body with fine gold wire but I did not wrap the herl thorax

Please enlarge the photo for visuals

If you want to tie this fly, please use any reinforcement techniques you are comfortable with

#14 Pyme Fisher

Pyme Fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

i believe the the sequence of materials in the recipe is wrong

You have to tie on the tail, peacock herl and fine gold wire BEFORE tying the copper wire for the body and thorax.

I think that is obvious to most tyers.

A recipe could list ingredients in any order, yet we would still know how to proceed.

#15 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

It is standard to list materials in the order used, listing them in another order would result in a different end product. Example, to build a house; foundation, floor, walls, roof gives "platform framing" and foundation, walls, roof, floor gives "balloon framing" the two requiring totally different methods and having different code requirements. 

The recipe should result in similar flies from different tyers without pictures or video.

In this instance, I would have ended with a tapered floss body with the abdomen over wrapped with copper and with the legs to the rear of the carapace, In my interpretation the legs should only extend to the sides, with stubble top and bottom.

I like Flytire's last version better than the recipe. But I would like to see one that Surette tied or his illustration if any in the book.