Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

emu

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75765&st=0&p=568570

They are very useful for tying emu buggers.

35555713782_7b3494d001.jpg

http://www.bobsflybox.com/Fly%20Pattersn/EmuBugger%20Family.pdf

Here are closeup photos of an emu feather vs marabou. Notice the difference. The barbs of an emu feather are stiffer and more separated than the barbs of turkey marabou. Emu tends to hold its shape when pulled through the water and collapses less than marabou does.

At the same time, it moves more than the stiffer hackle that is the normal wrapping of a wooly bugger. It makes the fly look more alive. If you palmered a wooly bugger using marabou, the marabou would collapse against the side of the fly.

47634480412_af26baca27_c.jpg

33809872328_1d94775907_c.jpg

Kind of off topic, but I absolutely HATE those Liberty Mutual commercials. I hit the mute button every time one comes on. That little "Liberty" jingle at the end drives me right up a wall. I especially hate it when a woman standing in front of the Statue of Liberty complains that insurance companies raise rates because of accidents; hello, that's what insurance companies do! It is how they exist. If they did not raise rates on potential accident prone drivers, they would eventually go out of business. We may not like it, but "News flash lady, that's what they do!"

My GF says I am becoming a curmudgeon. She might be right. But I don't give a damn.

Joe

I was given a bunch of emu feathers a many years ago. Really didn't know what to do with them. I was still tying mainly trout flies then. So I tied up the cycle. I didn't take these pictures.

Nymph

post-309-0-95832700-1556122803_thumb.jpg

Emerger

post-309-0-98667000-1556122832_thumb.jpg

Dun(?)

post-309-0-89532000-1556122853_thumb.jpg

I did catch some trout on them, but they're pretty ugly. Haven't used them in years

I have some Emu ... from a feather duster I bought at Bed-Bath-and-Beyond.

The only material tied on a size 12 hook, it makes for a neat, little, buggy looking ... thing.

I think I have pictures on my home computer ... I'll check when I get there.

I used to do veterinary work for some Emu farmers when that was the craze. I earned that money. They run like deer and strike like snakes, and kick like mules. Unfortunately, the Emu commercials will probably bring the craze back. And yes XVIguage, we are all a little set in our ways and develop intense dislikes as we "mature." Several curmudgeons on this site, including me. My kids think it is funny.