Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Esteban

New to saltwater, simple baitfish patterns wanted

Just getting into salwater fly fishing from the typical spinning baitcasting inshore setups. I fish a 6 WT here in NC and am starting to tie my own flies. I have the basic clouser pattern, but I would love to see some other baitfish patterns that are simple enough for a novice and can be tied to throw on a 6 WT.

Thanks

I would also do some soft foam poppers/gurglers on a size #4 maybe even #2, that should cast easy enough on a 6wt and provide some nice excitement if the fish are looking up.

Basically, you want to cover the water column, your clouser for deeper water, a popper for surface and baitfish streamers with little to no weight for below the surface but not to deep.

Size #2 and smaller depending on the weight in the fly should cast pretty well on the 6wt and if you use bucktail and synthetics, you can get away with a pretty good size looking bait with no additional weight as those materials shed water. Not saying you need large baitfish patterns as many saltwater fish feed on pretty small minnows.

Kirk

For shallow, weed filled waters you might also want to consider tying up a few Bendback flies (hooks no larger than size 1...). Bendback patterns can range from complicated, full dress all the way down to nothing more than a bare hook that's been bent about 1/8 to 1/4" back from the hook eye with a few different colors of bucktail and a bit of flash.... Here's a few pics, all done up on Mustad 34007 hooks in size 1/0 (the lightest rod I hand my anglers is a 7wt -most days an 8 or a 9wt....). The first pic is the Neon Bendback, the next are the Big Eye Bendback (I used to draw royalties on this bug before Umpqua dropped it from their lineup.... royalty patterns need sales....), the last are the Slinky with heavy Maribou wings...

post-30940-0-63927900-1413550677_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-46067200-1413550678_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-49798700-1413550708_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-30310500-1413550709_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-88038300-1413550768_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-47790900-1413550769_thumb.jpg

There are many good & simple flies for saltwater that can be tied in any size to fit the situation or the rod. Some of these will require additional materials you may not as yet have. Some of these may require you to learn a different technique to the tying, but none are complicated. Some of the materials in the following flies can be obtained in craft or sewing type stores, such as JoAnn Fabrics or Michael's & at a much lesser cost for the same material from fly shops. smile.png

Simple bucktails:

100_4495.jpg

100_4494.jpg

100_4368.jpg

Simple Eel:

100_4522.jpg

Basic Lefty's Deceiver:

100_4183A.jpg

Rabbit Strip Flies:

100_4779_zps3c43c7bf.jpg

100_4777_zpscaae57bd.jpg

100_4776_zps573f87c0.jpg

rabbitstrips004.jpg

Seaducer or Hackle Streamer:

100_4801_zpsee84de6a.jpg

Gurgler: As Kirk mentioned. I like the feather tail, but they can be tied with hair too.

100_4201A.jpg

100_4203A.jpg

100_4200A.jpg

Tarpon fly style patterns can be as good as any for other species. I first started tying them for LM bass. Simply use a different hook & tie in smaller sizes for your 6 wt.

100_4798_zpsfd7f3936.jpg

100_4796_zpsa09a007f.jpg

100_4793_zpsbb64f184.jpg

100_4526.jpg

100_4223A.jpg

100_4221A.jpg

100_4184A.jpg

Many styles of "Bonefish, Redfish or Flats" patterns. Crazy Charlie & Gotcha style flies primarily. Basic shrimp & small crab patterns. I use these here in the Chesapeake for Perch & other panfishes. I've caught Croakers, Bluefish & Striped Bass on some of them occasionally.

Most are tied in similar fashion as how you tie a Clouser, but various other materials are used.On many of these, the body is flash material over a thread base, then over wrapped with a flat or half round clear ribbing material. Some are simply epoxy coated. None are difficult to tie.

100_4449-1.jpg

100_4452.jpg

100_4451.jpg

100_4453.jpg

Some really great stuff here guys. One of the most effective and simple patterns for the salt is the polar fibre minnow. I prefer a #4 or #2 owner hook. Tie on a small bit of flash to just past the hook (for gills), tie on a clump of fibre, add some flash on top, tie on another clump of fibre. Add eyes and go fishing. I like to epoxy the eyes and sometimes to whole head just to add a slight bit of weight but that is optional.

post-18514-0-09590900-1413885314_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-46917500-1413885327_thumb.jpg

http://www.rockportflyfishers.com/flies/flies.html

Hey, i saw where you said you live in NC. Some of these would have to be good for NC.

I'm pretty new to tying as well and am just trying to get good at baitfish and a blue crab....and let a shrimp come later on.

If that link doesn't work, just try copying and pasting or going straight to rockportflyfishers and looking for flies.

Hope this helps!

http://www.rockportflyfishers.com/flies/flies.html

Hey, i saw where you said you live in NC. Some of these would have to be good for NC.

I'm pretty new to tying as well and am just trying to get good at baitfish and a blue crab....and let a shrimp come later on.

If that link doesn't work, just try copying and pasting or going straight to rockportflyfishers and looking for flies.

Hope this helps!

Nothing much simpler or easier to cast than a Schminnow. Pearl estaz and white marabou weighted or un weighted. I prefer unweighted except sometimes I will use some medium bead chain. However it seems that the bases have been covered quite well by the above posters. What a great bunch of guys. ..... just a couple of thoughts. You can probably shorten up your leaders as well as make them more simple. It will help when trying to punch your flies into the wind. Also don't forget to rinse your gear immediately after each exposure to the salt.

White, chartreuse, and baitfish blue I all you need. Rabbit fur makes irresistible flies. Just tie a zonker strip for a tail, and wind cross-cut rabbit up shank for a body. Dumbells if you need to sink fast. Eyes or no eyes, you will catch fish.

I know this is an old post but in case there is someone out there with the same needs.......A Joe Brooks Blonde is another simple tie and has caught more than it's share of fish of many species. It can also be tied upside down to make it more weedless. They can also be tied with modern synthetics.

this is my killer pattern for bait fish. even the boat man was shock with the catch. this 7 hook is tied on a rig. most important put a luminous on the hook as shown by the arrow.

post-49537-0-74239900-1467602261_thumb.jpg