Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Steelhead Hammer Recipe

I have three flies that I received from 2bonthewater called a Steelhead Hammer. When I do a search for the fly i find two versions:

Orvis Version

post-19761-1288033013_thumb.jpg

J Stockard Version

post-19761-1288033019_thumb.jpg

The second version is the one I have. Does anyone have the recipe? A web search turned up nothing on the second pattern. Two of my flies fell victim to the Salmon River river bed in NY a few weeks ago. I like to tie a few up for an up coming trip in a couple weeks.

The one I have must be a variation of the fly then. This is my best guess on materials:

Hook: 2x - Heavy Curved Nymph Hook Size 4

Thread: Yellow Thread

Body: Yellow Wire and Clear Vinyl Rib

Thorax:: Yellow Crystal Chenille

post-19761-1288061054_thumb.jpg

I have three flies that I received from 2bonthewater called a Steelhead Hammer. When I do a search for the fly i find two versions:

Orvis Version

post-19761-1288033013_thumb.jpg

J Stockard Version

post-19761-1288033019_thumb.jpg

The second version is the one I have. Does anyone have the recipe? A web search turned up nothing on the second pattern. Two of my flies fell victim to the Salmon River river bed in NY a few weeks ago. I like to tie a few up for an up coming trip in a couple weeks.

Here's a link to one looks just like your 2nd pics

http://troutwaders.com/blog/?p=14

hope it helps, Murray

Guest Big E

I'm not sure what weave they used but here's one I did a while ago and then another pattern that could be modded to something like it easily.

I'm not sure what weave they used but here's one I did a while ago and then another pattern that could be modded to something like it easily.

Isn't that the same over-under weave as used on the Bit<h Creek Nymph? Add a shellback and I think that would be it! Do you recall what size hook is that one tied on?

I initially thought the body on the Orvis version was herl but am now wondering if it's floss shown under considerable magnification.

Guest Big E

Isn't that the same over-under weave as used on the Bit<h Creek Nymph? Add a shellback and I think that would be it! Do you recall what size hook is that one tied on?

I initially thought the body on the Orvis version was herl but am now wondering if it's floss shown under considerable magnification.

6 or 8 I believe. Yes same over/under weave. I could see this being tied in a lot of different material...this one is chenille but I could also see it in floss, embroidery thread, maybe shellback, or combinations of different materials. Go with material you have and experiment.

Post some pics when you do it.

The true Steel Head Hammer was developed by Orvis tier and can be very effective.

The key to properly tie any woven pattern is developing a good underbody which enables the fly to take on the proper appearence ( where the colors run a "true line " which makes it look better in general)

When I tie these I form an under body by winding small gauge lead, starting 1/3 forward of barb and wrap to 3 turns behind eye.

Then I use flat waxed mono and make a good taper from front to back.

Tie in tail, I use pheasnt tail

Then tie in two different colors ie: olive and black(in this photo) zlon, which are tied in on each side, then advance thread forward . V rib works also

Then weave to just a tad in front of half way point, and tie off

Then I tie in Turkey tail for wing case(but any wing case material will work)

Then tie in Estaz olive or whatever, wrap forward, tie off, and pull wingcase forward and finish off with a few wraps

I might add that your underbody needs to be a lighter color than the body so it doesn't show through when fly gets wet

Give them a try, FUN to TIE

Bruce

post-4571-1288227191_thumb.jpg

Then tie in two different colors ie: olive and black(in this photo) zlon, which are tied in on each side, then advance thread forward .

Z-lon! That's what I was looking for! A size 4 hook was mentioned earlier. What other sizes would be appropriate?

Yup, any materials can be used when weaving

Z-lon isn't the easiest to work with, if you use too much tension it will shred and tear, I used z-lon because I was staying true to the pattern

Old Thread, but I just found this -- I hope you landed some Salmon with that fly

Rich, that is a Death Stonefly, not a Steelhead Hammer - -- I got tired of the Salmon thrashing my nice stoneflies.........so I came up with this fly, took a few years to finalize the pieces and parts

You are very close on the materials.........my goodness, I have not tied many yellow ones !!

Hook: Togen Size 2 Black Nickel Curved Salmon Hook

Rib: Yellow Large wire

Body: that is probably yellow Larva Lace

Thorax: yellow estaz

death_stonefly_new_003--wp.21382617_std.

Death_2_009--wp.21382808_std.jpg