Fly Tying
eastern fly

knotted Leaders

I use a shooting line with a #15 leader and #10 or #8 tippets below a triple swivel. I attach a 1" to 3" piece of tube lead to one of the swivel leads depending on the current.

Probably not what you want to hear, I would use regular level 12-15 pound mono for a leader when nymphing. When streamer fishing, I would go with a 4'-9' mono tapered leader, depending on the streamer weight. I just don't see the advantage of a knotted leader. Knots are always weak points that make the leader more visible and more likely to snag debris.

How do you like that Ambush line For your switch rod?

Level leader too. I adjust the dia to suit fly turnover down to minimum of approx .20, around 8lb. Biggest I use is just over .40, 28lb with heavy tube flies.

I use 3 to 5 foot 15 # Maxima, loop to loop to my leader/tippet. 8# high water/ cloudy, 6# /#4 in low and clear. often times i use 8 weight floating on my 7 weight rod (this allows flys to turn over better), any way, it works for me

Ian Collin James introduced me to the level leader concept 10 yrs ago. i haven't looked back since. he was also the first guide i know of that saw the full potential of fly fishing for carp.

for streamers I like 3.5ft 30lb maxima chameleon, 1.5ft 20lb maxima utragreen, 2ft 10lb maxima ultragreen

I would cut back to 1ft of 10lb utragreen then add 3-4ft 6lb maxima perfection for a nymph leader.

Shoebop,

I have used the "chuck and duck" system you describe for years. A love and hate experience.

Hate it astheticly speaking but it works, particularly on smaller waters like the FFO section of the Pere Marquette with zero space for back casts and limited distances and lots of overhanging obstacles which restrict spey casting tactics. If you need to get a fly down fast to deep holding steelhead in the deeper fast runs right against opposite banks, the C&D approach is very effective. It excels with a ten foot rod and nymphs or eggs. As weights we use para chord stuffed with different numbers of split shot to match the drift conditions with the bottom of the chord melted shut and a small swivel inserted in the melted top to minimize line twist.

It does rattle spooky fish however even with the chord enclosed weights banging along the bottom. There are also too many snagged fish with this approach so we do not use it over redds. Forget swinging streamers or attractors with it.

Rocco

My rig for the great lakes fishery was 6.5 feet of flouro, tie on a sucker spawn, attach two feet of lighter flouro tippet and tie on a nymph. An indicator and split shot was placed above the sucker spawn.

For streamer fishing down here, there are a couple different leaders I use (copied these from dans custom flies and redchaser):

leaderg-1.jpg