Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Magenhausen

midge/micro plastic tubing for extra small coneheads

Im a rather experienced fly tier from Iceland that came across really small tungsten cones which I bought and am happy with, but, i cant seem to fit any plastic micro tubing ive got into them. I´ve sent inqueries to firms that specialize in small tubing etc. but with no luck! I have some HMH/veniard and other tubing, but they are far from fitting. I NEED SOMETHING TO FIT in the hole ;) there must be something, soft and small enough out there.. (I feel like a perv. describing this) ;)

these are the cones and believe me, Ive tied alot of micro ones over the years, and this one is micro micro, even though the picture doesnt quite give the right comparison....

http://www.canadianllama.com/eyes-beads-cones/tungsten-cones/tungsten-cone-heads-20-pack

The ones in the link suggest an int dia of 2mm?? So I would have thought all the 1.8mm inner tubes from the likes of pro tube, future fly, foxtails', mistpool etc fit.

If these don't then have you got any 1.5mm tubing used to line bottle tubes?

Again, future fly sell them. In UK there is a guy called flymaker based in aberdeen. Drop him a message for his 1.5mm tubing. I've used it and its great.

The ones you brought are definitely for tubes and not for hooks only?

The ones in the link suggest an int dia of 2mm?? So I would have thought all the 1.8mm inner tubes from the likes of pro tube, future fly, foxtails', mistpool etc fit.

If these don't then have you got any 1.5mm tubing used to line bottle tubes?

Again, future fly sell them. In UK there is a guy called flymaker based in aberdeen. Drop him a message for his 1.5mm tubing. I've used it and its great.

The ones you brought are definitely for tubes and not for hooks only?

Thanks alot for the information. I will contact the ones you suggest =)

Years ago you could get medical capillary tubing with an OD from 1mm upwards. Sorry I don't have a supplier currently but that may give you a direction to search in.

Cheers,

C.

The way I read it, "midge" cones are 2.5mm long x 2mm diameter. I see no mention of internal diameter.

If that's right, you might check for spaghetti tubing. Several available gauges come in under 1mm outer diameter but still allow clearance for 0x tippet.

http://www.awcwire.com/producttoc.aspx?id=ptfe-spaghetti-tubing