Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Coast

Ed Haas Technique - Weitchpec Witch

where is the return loop wire?

+ what is the ed haas technique?

Google it !

You'll figure it out.

Some of us know what he is talking about.

I'm a little lost as to the benefit of moving the wire. I've yet to have a wing tied facing over the eye and folded back pull out on me.

Very nice tutorial!

I'm a little lost as to the benefit of moving the wire. I've yet to have a wing tied facing over the eye and folded back pull out on me.

I was at a John Shewey demo and he was asked to demonstrate the Haas' technique, which he did. He said one advantage was that you could easily control the angle of the wing.

I can see another benefit. If you just tie the wing, on top, facing forward and fold it back, you are tying over double the thickness of the hair bundle. With Haas' technique you are only tying over one thickness, making the head more compact, at least in the vertical plane.

Greetings Piker,

I cannot ascertain Haas' true intent for moving the wire, but I am sure we can all agree the main intent is trapping/locking the hair in place. However, I believe it might have been a combination of reasons.

Coupled with trapping the hair, Haas being a commercial tier, might have opened the wire to speed up the process. While opening the wire involves an extra step, it does make introducing and securing the hair between the wire much easier- especially when the hair was brought back over to form the head. Additionally, instead of the hair being tied to the top or bottom of the shank, the hair is distributed evenly along the shank making a thinner and even tapered body. Finally, the head of the fly is finished conical shaped due to the hair being trapped and compressed evenly.

Haas was a very intelligent man. Whether this was his intent or not, the technique simple yet pure genius!

Very nice tutorial!

I was at a John Shewey demo and he was asked to demonstrate the Haas' technique, which he did. He said one advantage was that you could easily control the angle of the wing.

I can see another benefit. If you just tie the wing, on top, facing forward and fold it back, you are tying over double the thickness of the hair bundle. With Haas' technique you are only tying over one thickness, making the head more compact, at least in the vertical plane.

I plum forgot to include this in the article! I have burning the midnight oil recently- the fumes must have gotten to me!

Umm I'm willing to have a play with the idea to see,in the flesh the difference. I mostly use fox furs or similar compressible furs when tying this type of wing and cant say a smooth tapered body or small head has been a noticeable issue.

my first piss poor attempt

found some mustad 9002 hooks and thought i would give it a try

too many fibers in the tail

wing is the trickiest part in getting the quantity of hairs and the length. inserting the hair between the shank and return wire took many tries

i need better hackles

steelhead_zpsafxymf0d.jpg

oh well i tried :)

norm

A lovely fly but your photo displays what I found when I gave it a shot and that is the marked step from body to wing/hackle point. It just doesn't look quite right to my eyes. Too anorexic in that throat area for me.

well lets see that fly you tied

remember its my FIRST ATTEMPT

only practice makes them close to perfect