Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Durham Ranger - tied in hand

When first you learn how to se both hands as tools for tying, then the vise sometimes feels like a restriction.

I find myself now and then removing flies from the vise to adjust something in tying before returning the fly to the vise. That way combining the best of the vise with the freedom of the hands.

/H

This is another of those, "nostalgic" ideas I don't understand.

Being a fly angler who ties flies for fishing ... sometimes I don't get you guys who tie flies JUST to tie flies.

Even if I was to fall into the "tie at stream side to match the hatch" crowd, I'd still need a box of material, so I'd have a vice with me.

Anyway ... to my uninitiated eye, Eide ... That fly looks pretty, like all the classics you tie.

If I had a year round fishing season I'd definitely be doing little to no tying. But having at least 6months of a year where i cant wet a line due to closed season or weather tying flies is a great pastime.

Very good for your first one. Its easier and harder than you think in equal measure isn't it.

Thanks! Agree on that: some parts are harder, but some parts are better to do in-hand. I got a very good feel with the material (especially the wing) and took my time with it.

Nothing like a challenge eh ?

Looks good.

I live for challenges :)

When first you learn how to se both hands as tools for tying, then the vise sometimes feels like a restriction.

I find myself now and then removing flies from the vise to adjust something in tying before returning the fly to the vise. That way combining the best of the vise with the freedom of the hands.

/H

I can see myself doing that more often now, I'll do some more flies all in-hand to get the basics covered a bit more first though ;)

This is another of those, "nostalgic" ideas I don't understand.

Being a fly angler who ties flies for fishing ... sometimes I don't get you guys who tie flies JUST to tie flies.

Even if I was to fall into the "tie at stream side to match the hatch" crowd, I'd still need a box of material, so I'd have a vice with me.

Anyway ... to my uninitiated eye, Eide ... That fly looks pretty, like all the classics you tie.

For me this is part history lesson and part learning something new that I can apply to different scenarios when tying flies for fishing. As piker says as well: We have large parts of the year where there is virtually no fishing (getting that fly-line through a frozen lake is kinda hard....)

I'll post more once I get around to tying more of these, most likely it will be a couple of more Durham Rangers, just to follow up on what I just did :)