Fly Tying
salarfishing

1st Bright of the season

All the tying through the winter paid off last weekend in May. Hitting the river again this weekend so hopefully a few more repeats! Other salmon nuts out there, please post some pics too. Tight lines everyone

post-54465-0-28968200-1467299907_thumb.jpg

Wow that's a nice one! I have never fished or tied for salmon so I don't have any pictures. I must ask, did you end up keeping him and if you did,did she taste good?

Thanks all,

FlatsRoamer, I'm 100% catch and release on Atlantic Salmon due to population stresses these days...

I'll post some others sometime soon, along with a video (if I can on this site) of a salmon grabbing my dry fly this past weekend...

Love you see pics from other folks too ;)

Tight lines!

post-55238-0-60430600-1467804311_thumb.jpg My first fish of the year was actually a smolt in spring, small & unexpected, but good to know spawners are doing their job fare up river! Can i ask which country you live & fish in?

Hi Adam,

Nice Smolt! We've been seeing a good number parr in the river feeding away, which is great to see. I am from northern Maine and grew up fishing new Brunswick and Quebec salmon rivers. Nowadays. I fish mostly the Restigouche and Matapedia rivers, and make my way to the Mirimachi from time to time as well. How about you?

Thanks Salar! I thought from your waders you were in this corner of the globe! I live in Finland, went to Orkla river Norway last summer, beautiful, two smolts landed & one salmon on, not long, my fault, no hook set cos' i froze as normal! Same thing happened with a monster once on my own river, thought it was stuck on a rock again, but the rock started moving, whole fish atleast 3' jumped high=froze! One other almost netted at night, maybe oneday!:-) Not eazy salmon fishing, but i'm sure the reward is worth it! Labrador is in my dreams!

Hey Adam, the pic is of my guide holding the salmon - I've been fishing with him on and off for 30 years and have been catching salmon with him since I was 15 years old. As for your fish - keep that fly swinging! You'll connect again - no doubt! I'm going to post a video of a salmon I caught earlier this week on a dry fly. If you're not hooked on salmon fishing yet (and it sounds like you already are!), once you catch one dry fly fishing, you'll be hooked for sure! Best, tight lines, Doug