Fly Tying
despatiesim

First Atlantic in 27 Years!

Last week on a trip to the Bonaventure, I caught my first Atlantic Salmon in 27 years! Actually, I started fishing for Atlantics at the age of 16, then stopped because it made no sense for a kid my age spending all his summer working money on fishing. I just started back up last year fishing the Bonnie for a week, but came up skunked. Went back this year and Bam! A nice 11 to 12 pounder! And to boot, it was on a size 6 Blue Charm I tied 27 years ago when I was 16! I landed another 10-11 pounder not too long afterwards, making my trip! Beautiful fish that put up a great fight. Was a sweet moment. Sorry, pics aren't great. Was alone and was trying to keep the fish in the water as much as possible.

Cheers!

post-54260-0-60067000-1468208479_thumb.jpg

post-54260-0-33361200-1468208704_thumb.jpg

Truly a staple on the table as far as the Victorian Era was concerced.That type of fishing gave birth to some amazing Tyers and patters in 16-20th centuries.

Gorgeous fish on a go-to classic!Congratulations,Sir!

Actually its a Fishpond Nomad mid-length. Big enough for a mid sized Salmon or Steelhead, not too long. Its so light, I have it off a fishpond retractor on my slingpack. Half way through the week (no fish yet), I started feeling silly with this thing hanging off my back ( no one else was doing this). But I was real happy being able to net these guys and reduce the fatigue when they finally decided to play. It considerably cut down my landing time and is well worth the expense. IMHO.

Cheers!

Congratulations! Nice story about the old fly too! What is the landing net? Would it be the Fishpond titanium?

Awesome despatiesim!

especially about the fly you tied when youi were in your teens to catch that Atlantic.

Good on ya!