Fly Tying
Frank G. Swarner III

Egg Faced Crayfish

Here is a link to a video step by step of one of my favorite flies to swing for steelhead in the salmon river in NY.

Ending is a bit short since the battery ran out on my camera......whoops.

Not a Spey pattern. Its very similar to a General practitioner. That fly was intended to mimic shrimp/prawn which are a great real bait to use for salmon but often banned.

This is like the GP with haemorrhoids.

For presentation are you only swinging this casting down and across or are you casting upstream and across and bottom boucing/dead drifting it a ways before you start the swing?

I'm heading to the Salmon in a few weeks for the first time with a switch rod, so looking for all the tips I can get. :)

I've only fished it swinging down and across. I'm sure various crayfish patterns would work if bottom bounced though. Ton of them in the river and some are quite large. If your swinging for kings make sure are down pretty deep. They don't like to come up and chase as much as steelhead do. First thing in the morning is probably your best bet to swing flies for salmon before they get too pressured by the crowds.

I've only fished it swinging down and across. I'm sure various crayfish patterns would work if bottom bounced though. Ton of them in the river and some are quite large. If your swinging for kings make sure are down pretty deep. They don't like to come up and chase as much as steelhead do. First thing in the morning is probably your best bet to swing flies for salmon before they get too pressured by the crowds.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

If trying to get down along the bottom for kings would you prefer split shot a couple of feet ahead of the fly, or would flies with a couple of beads or a conehead be the way to go? Obviously, the amount of weight would be dictated by the current flows of any given stretch, but just talking in general. Or would you prefer a sink tip/sinking polyleader and a fly with no weight?

Splitshot is the best way to get down quick and stay down longer during the drift. I have done well with heavy tungsten coneheads on a mono leader and no other weight as well. It really depends on the type of water you are fishing, how fast, how deep, and what presentation the salmon and steelhead want each day. Be prepared to use or try all of the methods you mentioned and you'll be good to go!!