Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Silver Grey

IMG_2692-1024x768.jpg

IMG_2702-1024x768.jpg

Winter is coming closer, weekends of tying flies and time to focus on classic for fishing. A good weekend with good food and silver grey as main focus.

Eide, what do you do with those after you tie them. Do they go to friends for display? Sell them? Surely you cannot put that much work into those objects of beauty and then throw them in the water where they would get all wet and worse yet may get chewed up by some sea creature. In jest I ask but in truth I wonder.

Nick

Eide, what do you do with those after you tie them. Do they go to friends for display? Sell them? Surely you cannot put that much work into those objects of beauty and then throw them in the water where they would get all wet and worse yet may get chewed up by some sea creature. In jest I ask but in truth I wonder.

Nick

These are all for fishing purpose :) Nothing like the feeling of putting on one of these, then swing for atlantic salmon in rivers on the Norwegian westcoast! I do spend some time on them, but this is also about learning the craft and the history of these patterns.

I have some friends that get one every now and then (for fishing!), but I have started looking into framing and doing some proper work on them, but first I'll focus on getting some good fishing flies done.

2016.10.01.silver_grey-1024x768.jpg

Here is one that I'm quite happy with, not framing quality, but the proportions are getting better.

Eide, two questions:

What vise is the one in the fist picture?

And, how are today's materials affecting this type of classic fly tying? Are today's patterns better than the ones from the old days, just because of the quality of materials available through genetics, farming, etc...?

Bimini the main trouble is sourcing the authetic feathers as many are now protected or extinct.

Dyed pheasant is used as a cock of the rocks sub for example.

Eide, two questions:

What vise is the one in the fist picture?

And, how are today's materials affecting this type of classic fly tying? Are today's patterns better than the ones from the old days, just because of the quality of materials available through genetics, farming, etc...?

Vise is this one: http://www.artisticflies.com/COTTARELLI_VISE/COTTARELLI_VISE.html

It can be trouble sourcing material, as mentioned above, but there are substitutes, and material can be bought. The problem often is getting quality material (swan/GP/hackle and so on)

Are todays patterns better? Well, I got my first (proper) salmon this year, and it was on a tied-in-hand durham ranger, not a modern-day tube: but that doesn't have to make it better than todays patterns, but I like fishing and tying the classics because of the history and the craftsmanship that goes into it. Nothing like the good feeling of putting on a Silver Grey or a Durham Ranger and swing after salmon biggrin.png