Fly Tying
JWM72

Crab fly

I've been trying to come up with a fly that I could use to mimic a green crab and use some Tuffleye Flex to give it a hard shell appearance. So far I have tried spinning EP fibers in a dubbing loop this gives me a nice body but I’m not happy with using rubber legs for the legs. Anyone have any other ideas on what other material to use?

I've been trying to come up with a fly that I could use to mimic a green crab and use some Tuffleye Flex to give it a hard shell appearance. So far I have tried spinning EP fibers in a dubbing loop this gives me a nice body but I’m not happy with using rubber legs for the legs. Anyone have any other ideas on what other material to use?

Hi all! This is my first post. I've had an enjoyable time reading many posts. I know this may sound redundant, but what about the old stand-bys? Specifically the Merkins. Unless your resident fish have been thoroughly educated to this fly, give it a shot. This fly has stood the test of time and is often found in fly boxes from Maine to Florida. I have caught bass in Monomony, Weaks in NJ, and Pompano in tampa Bay with a Merkin...simple yet effective. Just my $0.02. Great to be here!

Lots of different approaches to crab flies, from super realistic to something that could be described as impressionistic at best.... but there might just be a factor that's even more important concerning crab patterns. That factor is what I try to keep at the forefront when I'm designing or tying crabby bugs and it's all about how the thing actually behaves when it hits the water. If the bug is supposed to be on the bottom the way most crabs are when eaten then it has to dive quickly and sit just the same way as the real thing (the exception is floating crabs which also need to move and suspend just like the real thing...). When it's stripped along it has to move exactly the same way a real crab does (none of this turning over or sideways, etc. Many of the most realistic looking crab patterns tend to look like a stiff piece of plastic in the water and that's a real drawback in my book.

That's why the merkin is still so popular despite all the other patterns that have come on the scene since it was first developed...

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to stick with the old standby patterns for now. The few I did tie up just didnt seem to turn out so good

Great floating crabs!! If you wanna use the same pattern as a sinking fly ( Velcro crabs float) Go to your local Golf pro shop and buy a jar of Tungsten powder--used to adjust weight in a driver(? not a golfer so not sure of club) mix powder w/ epoxy or sprinkle in CCG. Will sink em fast an add little to no noticeable weight in casting.