Fly Tying
Flecktarnfisher

Good Morning from the UK

Hi everyone,

I'm a student from darn sarf of the UK and have been fly fishing a year and a bit now. I've only been fly-tying since Christmas for my DofE award and its now sort of become a hobby.....ooops! I've learnt all of my skills fishing the slow moving chalkstreams (not the expensive bits, the cheap bits and free bits in city centres) and reading very VERY old books as they're cheaper to source and way more interesting so if any of my skills seem a bit odd, we will put it down to that! I also keep a blog which I've started about fishing on a student budget in the UK. So yeah...Hello!

Lloyd

Welcome to the site,buddy!Some of the most famous patterns in the world came from that part of the UK.I would track down some books on Blacker and Trahern and Hardy.

Let us see some of your work soon!All the best-Steve

Saw your "Clouser" thread before this one. (I think the introduction forum should be at the top of the list!)

Welcomed you on that thread, so this is redundant ... but ...

Welcome to the site, Lloyd.

I'm like Mike. I asked you about yourself on the other thread. I find it interesting that you're fly fishing for coarse fish. Most guys here from the UK seem to be after pike and salmon. I remember those comic books about coarse fishing that were turned into TV episodes... they fished with stuff like sausages on the line above the hook, and used spinning gear. I'd like to see more about how you coarse fish with a fly.

Also, where in the ***** is darn sarf? is it like down souf here in our soufeast states?

Flafly do you mean Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing?

crabtree.jpg

Darn sarf is how the bods from the Midlands usually refer to us blokes from the southern counties 'cos apparently we talk funny: I think its the other way round! Darn sarf refers to counties like Hampshire, Dorset, Sussex etc. Fly fishing for coarse fish isn't too much different to going for trout and other stuff its just easier and a LOTTTTT cheaper where I'm from (The Itchen isn't a cheap river to fish for trout, nearly £400 a day. Thats about $550!)

FlatsRoamer, My blog is http://trainticketfisherman.blogspot.co.uk/ Its only small really and I'm hoping to update it every week or so with tying or a trip out.

All the best,

Lloyd

Yes... it was Mr. Crabtree. Last year they came out with a TV series based on Mr. Crabtree..... this guy took a couple of kids fishing each installment (I only saw one). He was fishing a river with steep grassy banks (tall grass), and using a spinning rig, with various meat baits. He couldn't actually cast the lure.... he just sort of flipped it out underhanded, like one would using a cane pole.

Are any rough fish good to eat? Over here we're blessed not only with salmonids (trout etc) but also a number of Centrarchids (Bass, bluegills, crappie, walleye, etc.) all extremely tasty!

I've never tried any coarse fish because in the UK many fisherman are catch and release due to the EA laws imposed upon us. This is because the rivers got so polluted and cruded up during the Victorian era fish populations fell dramartically and rivers became really polluted. Also, why eat c*** coarse fish when you can have trout? Much tastier! I know one or two people who eat pike occasionally but thats about it really... Most lure fisherman use an underhand chuck on the river I fish, public footpaths and a lot of tree cover don't mix well with treble hooks!

Lloyd

I've got a great idea for a new tourism industry.... we can invite Europeans to come over here and fish for bluegills and crappies and walleyes and yellow perch, etc etc, AND EAT THEM! dredged in corn meal and fried crisp!

You're first invitee Lloyd.