Fly Tying
sherrib

Carp flies

Hi, I am new and have been tying a few of my own flies for trout but I fish the Illinois river in Oklahoma and want to try and catch a carp. What flies do you recommend for carp that aren't too hard to tie. So far I can tie a wooly bugger, pheasant tail nymph, hares ear and san juan worm. Thanks, Sherri

I have never used a fly for carp (just peanut butter and bread) but I have heard there is a fly called the Mulberry which carp love when mulberries are in season.

Hi Sherri,

One of the best carp flies I've ever used was developed by a friend and it so simple it doesn't have a name. It is kind of like a Wooly Bugger without the tail. Here's how it goes:

Simple Carp Fly

Hook: Sizes 4 to 12, 3XL streamer or hook of choice

Thread: Black or color to match the body

Weight: Dumbbell eyes

Body: Black chenille or color of choice

Body hackle: Grizzle or color of choice, palmered

Head: Thread, coated with cement.

Put the hook in the vise, attach the thread at the back and bind the dumbbell eyes to the back of the hook slightly down into the hook bend. A drop of crazy glue will futher anchor them in place. Attach a strip of chenille and a hackle feather. Wrap a chenille body, tie it off, and trim the waste. Palmer the hackle over the body (like a Wooly Bugger), tie it off, and trim the waste. Whip-finish, trim, and glue.

Present this fly far enough in front of a feeding fish so the fly can reach AND sit on the bottom - BE prepared. The fly sits on the bottom tilted slightly up and looks like something to eat. When the fish is close to the fly, watch very carefully for movement in your leader. Set the hook.

There is a great web site for you to see carp feeding via You Tube movies. It is www.carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Good luck and let us know how the carp fishing goes for you. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Can you spin (flare) deer hair?

I haven't tried to do that yet. What fly are you thinking of, thanks a bunch, Sherri

Hi Sherri,

One of the best carp flies I've ever used was developed by a friend and it so simple it doesn't have a name. It is kind of like a Wooly Bugger without the tail. Here's how it goes:

Simple Carp Fly

Hook: Sizes 4 to 12, 3XL streamer or hook of choice

Thread: Black or color to match the body

Weight: Dumbbell eyes

Body: Black chenille or color of choice

Body hackle: Grizzle or color of choice, palmered

Head: Thread, coated with cement.

Put the hook in the vise, attach the thread at the back and bind the dumbbell eyes to the back of the hook slightly down into the hook bend. A drop of crazy glue will futher anchor them in place. Attach a strip of chenille and a hackle feather. Wrap a chenille body, tie it off, and trim the waste. Palmer the hackle over the body (like a Wooly Bugger), tie it off, and trim the waste. Whip-finish, trim, and glue.

Present this fly far enough in front of a feeding fish so the fly can reach AND sit on the bottom - BE prepared. The fly sits on the bottom tilted slightly up and looks like something to eat. When the fish is close to the fly, watch very carefully for movement in your leader. Set the hook.

There is a great web site for you to see carp feeding via You Tube movies. It is www.carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Good luck and let us know how the carp fishing goes for you. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Thanks a bunch for the help I will give it a try. I haven't tied on any eyes yet but will give it a shot. Thanks again, Sherri

I've got a lot of carp on the Pheasant Tail nymph, start with that... and if the Carp you're fishing for are bigger than 10 lbs, use a hook size that has enough steel to hold them. A large fish can straighten a small hook very quickly, I would use #12 and larger for big carp.

If you learn how to spin hair you can tie surface flies which are used in conjunction with dog biscuits, as in you throw out a few dog biscuits to get the carp looking up and ten use the fly. The fly is made from natural brown deer hair spun and clipped to the shape and size of a dog biscuit. You can tie a small part of the frount with white deer hair to add contrast so you can distinguish you fly from the dog biscuits.

Happy tying,

Jason.

P.s. You can get away with heavy wire hooks when using deer hair in such quantities also look up the hedgehog carp fly on the internet to get tying instructions.

Where do you live? If you go to my web site you can follow the tutorial link on how to tie a bugger. If you go to hatches TV you can find tutorials on lots of other carp flies. like PT's and craws etc....

I guess it depends on where you are fishing for them. Here in the northwest, crayfish and dragon fly nymphs seem to top the list of flies that people love to use. But it does depend on where you are fishing for them and what they are eating, they pretty much eat everything a trout will eat.