Fly Tying

I don't have deep pockets and most of my rods were bought used and I sell a few on ebay as I trade out for the newer used past latest greatest.

A little trick I discovered prior to re-selling for cleaning cork before taking photos w/o sanding it down is Mr.Clean's Magic Eraser.

Does a great job, not perfect but surprisingly good. So before selling yours or if you just want to clean it up a little give it a try.

Does that hide up or "fix" the holes I make from sticking my fly on there?

thats what this thingy on your fly rod is for

1653364_orig.jpg

Nope. It is essentially the finest sanding you can think of, but it will not cover holes.

I would like to know, however, how you guys restore your cork handles that have lost some of the filler.

Does that hide up or "fix" the holes I make from sticking my fly on there?

thats what this thingy on your fly rod is for

1653364_orig.jpg

What? Isn't that to tether the rod to your kayak?... :D

Flats,

If you don't have one of those, they sell some you can attach to any rod blank.

Yes, I too would like to know about a cork filler.

My first BVK looked like termites had gotten to it, it looked so bad. I sold that one but I couldn't help the cork any beforehand, LOL

Get a good bottle of wine, one with a cork in it. Drink the wine. Keep the cork. Once you have recovered, get some sandpaper and some PVA glue. Sand the cork so you get a pile of cork dust. Mix in some PVA glue. Clean out holes in your rod handle and fill with the PVA and cork dust mix. Sand to shape.

For this to work it is vital you consume all the wine yourself, it just will not work if you don't. Also, as you should only use really good wine, of supreme vintage, keep the lead foil. It is great for weighting flies. Same applies here. Flies weighted with the lead seal from wine sink faster if you have consumed all the wine.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig,

Any suggestion on a vintage that may be appropriate for a St. Croix Legend Ultra?

I will use lowly sparkle apple cider corks for my conventional rods. :)

Here's my routine for quickly cleaning a cork handle - just enough lacquer thinner to dampen a hand rag (a clean one - the kind used by car washers) -then a thorough hand scrubbing of the cork. Be careful to keep the rag off of any painted surface (or anything else - just the cork... You'll see the dirt, sunscreen, fish slime transfer to the cloth very quickly. Keep rotating the cloth so that a clean area of the cloth is on the cork to remove anything - leaving the cork looking like it was new...

To fill voids in cork I do a bit different routine once the handle has been used a bit than I do when building and turning down a cork handle -(but that's another story...). I use Plastic wood in natural or Oak color then carefully fill any void - after using a needle or ice pick point to work out any loose bits of cork. I fill the void slightly more than is needed to fill it level then allow it to dry. Once dry I take a smooth cotton cloth (a shotgun cleaning patch is ideal) wet it slightly with lacquer thinner and just lightly rub only the repaired void. The plastic wood will wear away to the level of the cork -looking like it was sanded down -without sanding on the cork at all...

Warm water with a few table spoons of baking soda, then scrub with a toothbrush (preferably not your own;) ) is the easy way to clean cork without any sort of real chemicals involved.

Warm water with a few table spoons of baking soda, then scrub with a toothbrush (preferably not your own;) ) is the easy way to clean cork without any sort of real chemicals involved.

Good to know. I have one that smells like a worm farm.

Crackaig,

Any suggestion on a vintage that may be appropriate for a St. Croix Legend Ultra?

I will use lowly sparkle apple cider corks for my conventional rods. smile.png

I find wine vintages to be like very subjective, like rod actions; one man's food is another man's poison. That's why I left it up to you. Furthermore, as I have very little sense of smell, my taste in wine is not to be trusted. I must admit to, on occasion, having used the cork from a bottle of port, but please don't let that get out; I don't always fish alone!

Some days I am so glad I write these posts under a non de plume!

Cheers,

C.