Fly Tying
rstaight

Bass Pro/Cabela's

Looks like more than a rumor, this time.

Oh well ... I always liked BPS better than Cabela's anyway.

From what I read, BPS will continue the Cabela's Stores, support your local shops, they are going to need all the support they can get.

Utyer - you said a mouthful! It is extremely important to support ALL of your local stores rather than saving a little buying through the internet. Your local store pays state and local taxes, employs local people - who in turn spend money in the local area. If everyone turns to internet buying,the cost of goods from a store are going to be either super expensive or non-existant. Good luck with buying a last minute item or looking through several versions to find one to your liking (like fly tying materials). The advent of shopping malls pushed out most of the mom and pop shops on main street - soon internet shopping will displace brick and mortar stores - contributing to some local economy far from where you live.

Prices in the local shops have really increased in the just the past few years because of the weight of the big name stores and internet sales.I think it's only going to get worse regardless of what we do.

Cabelas has opened 2 new stores in our State & Bass Pro is building a new store only about 10 miles from one of them. The buy-out will put 2 stores in Charlotte, NC & 2 more in Greenville, SC, not that far away. I wonder if they will keep all these stores?

BB

I either order from Miami Fly shop(in person) or if they don't have something I order from Ole Florida fly shop, the next closest one and they are also run by good people like Miami Fly

I'm actually really hoping I can get a summer job at Miami fly since Jorge Martinez left, hopefully that will work out. Talk about a dream job!!

There's very few items outside of the cheapest of rods and reels that cabelas and bass pro can compete on. Lines fall into the affordable category. Their waders and boots are crap, accessories are mediocre.

In my travels l have found "local stores" I can call and order from, have free shipping and are glad to let me know when they'll have clearance sales. If there's a show I am going to they will bring my order there. Works out well.

Big box tying materials are way, way expensive, almost comical.

Cabelas has opened 2 new stores in our State & Bass Pro is building a new store only about 10 miles from one of them. The buy-out will put 2 stores in Charlotte, NC & 2 more in Greenville, SC, not that far away. I wonder if they will keep all these stores?

BB

Cabelas just opened a store 10 miles from a bass pro in Richmond. I'm curious to see how that's going to work out.

it's interesting how evenly split the internet's population is on their opinions of each brand. AND the opinions seem to almost completely cancel each other out in regards to what subgroups are more likely to shop what brands. The common theme with which I agree, is that Cabela's branded equipment is usually higher quality and also a bit more expensive than BPS - clothing, tackle, gear, etc. I was ordering fly tying then other equipment from Cabela's at least as far back as the late 80's, and been visiting BPS here and there since the early 90's. Now for the last 7 years I've lived within a 20 minute drive of a BPS and less than an hour from a huge Cabela's. They both have their strengths. Unlike ihang10, I've found the boots and waders which Cabela's put their stickers on to be exceptional quality once you get above the absolute cheapest price point. Not so for BPS. The performance clothing such as rain gear and cold weather gear are higher quality at Cabela's without a doubt. More expensive too. With name brands, there is no difference. I've got lots of Cabela's tackle and gear, and it blows away comparable BPS gear. BPS gives a military discount to in store customers every single day, Cabela's only does on 3 or 4 certain days per year.

The local shop vs big box/internet seems to be a frequent topic on fishing forums. I won't support local shops just to support local shops. In this day and age if a local shop is not selling on the Internet as well then it's time for them to close. I'm of the belief that local shops should support their customers not the other way around. I'm not paying higher prices for anything let alone limited selection and empty shelves. If a local shop prefers to sell limited stock in low volume at maximum prices I'm not giving them my money. If a local shop wants to sell high volume at lower prices to their customers I'm there. The only way that is possible is to sell on the Internet and from their brick and mortar store. A lot of the stores I buy from on the Internet are local brick and mortar stores to someone. Roll with the times or go out of business.

As for cabelas and BPS, I prefer cabelas. I also like cabelas waders. One thing I know about waders is they all leak. cabelas waders last about as long as others.

That's a shame, standar tackle I prefer bass pro but the cabelas has a much better fly tying section then the BP does here and they actually put stuff on sale, not stick a sign on an item at full msrp.

As far as I can tell ... the Cabela's stores will appear unchanged. Anyone who doesn't pay attention to the news will not know it's owned by BPS. The reports read like Cabela's will still be "Cabela's".

Like buying a Jaguar or a Land Rover as a high end British car, when really it's owned by Mumbai-based Tata Motors.

How many of you thought they were still owned by Ford ???