Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

We need to wake the hell up, gents

There's nothing to wake up over IMO. Yeah it sucks that spills happen, but fossil fuel is a necessary evil to the continuation of the world we live in at the moment. Not everything can be converted into clean energy powered and even if everything could, at what cost? People need to drive, and heat homes there's tons of petroleum based items we use in a daily bases that no one even thinks about. Sure it would be great to not have spills and leaks and have a world where nothing bad ever happens due to mans needs, but that's just not a reality to be able to accomplish right now.

And that's as far as I'll go on that topic because it is borderline political so keep in mind mods are watching this thread and if it goes down a wrong rd it will get locked.

I agree with steeldrifter. I am a proponent of the pipeline. It will be cleaned up. I dont think you should be banned either. It's your opinion. This is mine.

I fish around the point pleasant pump on the Delaware river. When it was being built, Abby Hoffman and a band of bored aging 1960's morons protested, sometimes violently. The pump was going to drain the Delaware and turn it into a trickle they screamed. 1000% false. The area is beautiful and the river is full of life and water. When I take people out and point out the pump they all say "that's the pump." It amounts to a small shed. Fishing the actual pipe is a hotbed of different fish from SMB to stripers, walleye, carp, and musky.

We need the pipeline. The pipeline is the safest way to move oil. The ecowarriors have been waiting for something like this to happen so they could pounce. Here's my view. Clean up will be a breeze. It won't take long and there will be no lasting effect other than the lies made up by protestors.

And, directly form that news feed: " ... No livestock or drinking water sources appeared to be threatened ..."

And ... “They’ve got a response plan that they kicked in right away,”

Seems to me we've "woken up" and spills and such are handled ... not covered up. There's a much higher impact to wildlife presented by boaters, anglers and general human habitation that in all the oil fields and related industries combined.

Sorry, Jack ... I don't share your "alarm" at this spill.

My post was out of a deep concern for when an oil pipe line bursts over or under a major waterway,

such as one of our Great Lakes or one of our rivers that we fish. It affects everyone.

Too many people in the world and here. Its the problem that we dont address from a global perspective.

It is more profitable to continue to do what you are doing than to invest in something new.

The global perspective only kicks in once we decide we are going to look at other alternatives.

And we here do not decide that, so fish on.

As a retired pipefitter I have worked pipeline compressor stations and here in Misipi salt dome storage systems. My experience shows the pipeline co. are far more stringent on the environment than any other industry.

Example: While working a motor crane's hydraulic hose burst. We put diapers out and removed the contaminated dirt to a collection containment where it was later burned to remove the hydrocarbons. The spill was minimal. Meanwhile across the way off site a logging company changed the oil in there big skidder and pulled the plug, dumped a long black stream of engine oil rolling down the hill. Nothing said....

Jack you seem to be a bit moody here bud. No one said anything negative towards you or your thoughts in the least bit, people just spoke their thoughts in a pretty polite way on the subject you brought up. So just because people didn't say .."Oh you're so right we agree 100%" then you say you misjudged and learned a lesson so lock it? Just because peoples opinions differ from yours is no reason to be defensive. That's life, people have different opinions on a lot of things.

well, and i was typing a long response; now, I can't help but think of Bear Claw Lapp "Skin this one, I'll bring you another one"

Truth is we could not have this forum with no petroleum products, nor any electric lights (unless you use bare wires) most of us would be naked and our very fly lines would not exist.

I see the world through different eyes and maybe it's best I bow out for some time.

Perhaps come back when things look brighter.