Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

The doggie door

My wife complained all the time about having to let the dogs out for a few minutes and then they wanted in. I suggested doggie door. She had this fear a skunk or raccoon would come through. Our dogs are small and got on Amazon and got a cheap one one step up from the smallest. It was kind of a funny time getting them to use it though. The Daschund/Yorkie cross "Dorkie" took right to it with just a couple of holding treats on other side. Two days and he was using it. The Chihuahua "Lexie" though was a different case. A female that was a rescue dog badly abused and she is even more shaky than most Chihuahuas and afraid of everything. It was a case of holding the door open for her coming in and out for a few days, then she got so she could follow Dorkie through if she was right on his heels but not by herself. Finally I took her and pushed her through from one side, went on other and pushed her back. Did this several times and she finally carefully learned to push it open and sneak out and back in. Now she'll barrel through in and out and save a heck of lot of aggravation with their barking to go out or in. Also, there is a sliding door to block it at night so coons and skunks won't sneak into the bedroom.

So, if you've a fenced yard and get tired of catering to the animals it's one of those things you don't realize how convenient it is until you put one in. If I lived in a big city, or even a small city and ordered a lot from mail order I think I'd put one in just so UPS and others could put most packages in and push them out of reach of all the thieves following the trucks and picking up package from people not home. Ours is like 7" x 11" and just fits Dorkie but for packages I'm sure you could go one size bigger and no one is going to sneak through. 'Course in the world we live in today there are probably people out there who would push their 2-3 year old through to unlock the door.

Don’t have a dog, but, on the Amazon front, I have heard they are working on being able to drop packages INSIDE the house. I assume it is related to “smart locks”. Nothing smart, if you ask me.

I got one of those, Vic, for the garage door. Our outdoor cats (all tamed ferals or wilds) will come in to the garage to see what I am doing and to try to trip me when I need to walk around. I used to need to chase them out before closing up.

But, now I can just close the door. The cat door is locked, to prevent anything form coming in ... but it swings outward to let any "trapped" cats out.

During the hurricane, we let it swing both ways, so the "Street Urchins" that wanted to try it, could come in out of the storm. A couple of them did. I leave it free to swing, now. I've got two of them that will come in anytime we turn the light on. They don't like coming into a dark garage ... as far as we know ... but they'll come in when the light's on.

Not only wouldn't I kill a cat for it's hair ... it's not even necessary, Henry. All I have to do is spend a minute petting any one of my cats and I'd have enough fur fro a year.

With three indoor, and 5 to 7 (depends on the time of day) outdoor cats, I could provide cat fur dubbing for everyone on this site, I think.

Now, Husky fur would be very similar to Wolf and I could see harvesting a particular one of those we have in this neighborhood.

After I posted this I cracked up watching the dogs. When the dogs get cranked up about something they now barrel through the door with no hesitation. Well, Lexie is a small and light Chihuahua and Dork is a stocky, overweight Yorkie on those short Dashchund legs. 90% of the time Dork goes through first but this time I happened to be by the door when they got excited about something and went storming for the door. This time Lexie just got started first but Dorkie being a little bull just charged right in there with her. It was like the over played two guys going through the door at the same time on sitcoms. Sure enough they wedged in the door momentarily before Lexie, who is a champ at backing up, backed up and let Dork through and followed. I had to think about all those stupid overplayed door jamups and laughed up a good one.