Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Help me pick a new fly line!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:45 AM

I'll be splurging on a new 8 weight within the next few weeks. It'll primarily be for underwater presentations, though once spring is in full force I'll be using it for Bass Bugs, Whitlock's Waker Sheep Shad, etc... Until then, though, I'll be using it only for underwater presentations. I'll get another spool and floating line closer to spring.

My main concern is this: What about some sorta sink tip or sinking line for tailwater trout, so it needs to be versatile enough with weighted and unweighted streamers to fish anywhere between 1'-5' or so deep while drifting in a jonboat. My first reaction is to get a line that sinks 1"-2" per second so I can fish low and moderate flows with unweighted/slightly weighted streamers. When they start generating, I can tie on a clouser type thing to get down to a certain depth and have it hang there and fall at the right rate, just play with the weight to get the right action.

But I figure I should ask the people who've been there, done that. Should I just get a floating line and be done with it? Should I get a 1"-2" per secone sinking type line? 3"-4" sinking type line? I probably don't need anything heavier than that, because I'll be drifting in a boat.

I'll also be using the rod for Wipers on the Ohio River, Bass, etc... And hopefully some surprise Striper at the trout river I fish. headbang.gif

Also, what are the pros and cons of sink-tips vs. sinking lines?
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#2 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

Has anyone tried those sinking poly leaders? Those are cheap to try (compared to sinking lines), and if they get my streamer down like a sink tip, I'm all for that. I just need the surface to 6' range, like what a jerkbait or non-deep diving crankbait will cover.

I've just heard bad things about those interchangeable sink tips hinging real bad, and getting another spool with a sinking line that will do the same job as these poly leaders is just uneconomical. IF these things perform well.
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#3 Carver

Carver

Honestly hunny I only spent $100!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

I have a Rio Interchangable tip line on my 8wt and love it! it comes with floating, clear intermediate, type2 sinking, type4 sinking and type 6 siinking. One spool, a tip walet and everything you need. It'll cost you more for the line but you only buy one spool. JMO.

Paul

#4 Gregg A

Gregg A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:31 PM

Deciding what lines you need to buy is about like a woman trying to buy shoes. What color, what design, winter, summer, blah, blah, blah. Since you already know where your going to fish, and for what, you are already ahead of the ball game. I havent tried the changable tips, I prefer extra spools, but that is just me. One thing you could do, is research the differant lines in your price range, then narrow them down from there. I think once you start looking around you'll find it pretty easy do find what you want and need.
The only Zen you'll find at the top of a mountain is the Zen you take up there with you.

#5 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

I'm leaning towards either 2 spools and a Teeny Mini Sink-Tip and a floating line or a floating line and the Airflo Poly Leader thing. The airflo thing's cheaper and more versatile than the Teeny Mini-Sink tip thing. Or I could get both for even greater versatility. Decisions, decisions...

I don't need to be any deeper, because I never have done any good around here with deep-diving crankbaits (for anything), and if I'm gonna be fishing off the bottom in deep water in rivers and lakes, I'd just assume grab my baitcaster and use a plastic of some sort. ph34r.gif

Unless I'm using a 9'-15' leader, a streamer, and a strike indicator for the Float 'n Fly for pig-beast Smallmouth at Dale Hollow during the dead of winter. If I've got an 8 weight fly rod, I figure I can jerry-rig a Float 'n Fly rig with that.

-Muhammad Ali

#6 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

I bought a S.A. Streamer Express. I use it for fresh and salt. Man one hell of a line. I am thining about another one. Very cool lines.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#7 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:40 AM

Did I read right? An 8WT for tailwater trout? I fish the White, Norfork and Little Red and the biggest I use is a 6 and mostly either a 3 or 4WT. Is it to be your only rod? If it is and you have not made the purchase yet, I'd look into something with a little more versatility. A good 6 will do what you're looking for. Or even a 7 but an 8 seems like an awfully big rod for tailwater trout unless you're looking at fish in the pounds and not inches. And...looking at them regularily. Just my humble opinion .. of course.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#8 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(maddog48 @ Oct 29 2005, 12:40 AM) View Post

Did I read right? An 8WT for tailwater trout? I fish the White, Norfork and Little Red and the biggest I use is a 6 and mostly either a 3 or 4WT. Is it to be your only rod? If it is and you have not made the purchase yet, I'd look into something with a little more versatility. A good 6 will do what you're looking for.

Mike

I've got a 6 weight that I use mainly for stream Smallmouth and small trout stuff (nymphs, dries, etc...). It's a bit overkill for fishing a #18 or so dry or a #16 nymph with a midge dropper, but I can only justify one light rod right now.

The 8 will be a multi use rod. I have great luck with 4"-5" jerkbaits for trout at this river during spring, early summer, late fall, and anytime they're generating, but a 6 weight is too light for a streamer that long. An 8 will be much better.

I'll be using it for Largemouth at lakes, ponds, and the Ohio River, the occasional striper at the trout river I fish, Wipers and White bass on the Ohio River, as well as Smallmouth at Dale Hollow. I'll bring it with me for Florida fishing (Largemouth, Bonefish, Redfish, etc...).

It's not strictly for trout. I just said that because the trout river I fish is an active Tailwater, so I want all my bases covered for those drastically changing conditions.

-Muhammad Ali

#9 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(maddog48 @ Oct 29 2005, 12:40 AM) View Post

Or even a 7 but an 8 seems like an awfully big rod for tailwater trout unless you're looking at fish in the pounds and not inches. And...looking at them regularily. Just my humble opinion .. of course.

Mike

And yes, a lot of the time, I'll be looking for trout in the pounds, not inches. I'll throw whatever they're biting on, but most of the time I don't want to mess with anything under 16". For one, they don't fight as good (especially pound for pound) as their bigger siblings since they're stockers. It takes these fish until they're about 17" until they start acting and looking like wild fish. For another, I like big fish. Big browns will eat anything, and they get a lot more extroverted when they start generating.

I figure the day (when they're not generating) will be my time to fish nymphs, dries, wooly buggers, etc... and try to match the hatch. If I'm getting skunked, I can normally always pick some off with a good small (about 2" or so) streamer or jerkbait.

When they start generating in the evening is when I'll go hawg hunting. I want to weed out all small fish during this time. That means nothing under 18".

I wonder how mouse patterns at night would work down there?

-Muhammad Ali

#10 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

One sugestion is to overline your rod you will love it. I tried fishing with a nine weight line on a six weight rod this summer wow. The control and distance for throwing larger flies was unreal. The wind seemed to not exist, tight loops and dead on presentations. With minimal amount of effort. The line was a 300 grain streamer express.

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#11 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Joe Hard @ Nov 3 2005, 05:43 PM) View Post

One sugestion is to overline your rod you will love it. I tried fishing with a nine weight line on a six weight rod this summer wow. The control and distance for throwing larger flies was unreal. The wind seemed to not exist, tight loops and dead on presentations. With minimal amount of effort. The line was a 300 grain streamer express.

The problem is, my 6 weight is already a medium action rod (A Scott V2). Any overlining will probably just be sloppy. Since I'll be using an 8 so much in situations that a 6 weight would get manhandled (such as fishing for Wipers behind dams and roaring current on the Ohio and catching stripers), I went ahead and got the 8 to compliment my 6. The Scott A2 is a badarse rod, BTW.

-Muhammad Ali

#12 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

still try overlinning your 8 its an old saltwater anglers trick. Trust me on this. You will say wow I should of been doing this along time ago

#13 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Have a look at this link
http://www.flytyingf...?showtopic=9956

#14 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Joe Hard @ Nov 3 2005, 06:01 PM) View Post

still try overlinning your 8 its an old saltwater anglers trick. Trust me on this. You will say wow I should of been doing this along time ago

I might have to try that sometime. The guy at the Fly shop I buy most of my fly stuff at recommended the SA Ultra 4 Bass Bug taper in an 8 weight. He was telling me that he talked to the guy at SA who designes all the lines and that the Ultra 4 Bass Bug taper is better at whipping around big flies than the Mastery Bass Bug Taper. blink.gif

Anyways, the A2 casted like a dream with a regular 8 weight GPX, but we'll see how it casts with the Ultra 4 Bass Bug Taper. Either way, I'm stuck with it since my next line will be a sink tip (probably a Teeny Mini-Sink Tip)

-Muhammad Ali