Fly Tying

Welcome to the site. I don't tie Helgramites. They might be in my area, but I've never seen any.

My version.

As far as know they are only found in moving water and then mainly in slower, warmer stretches. Locally they used to be expensive live bait options for smallies. They draw vicious strikes.

Rocco

post-32712-0-44337500-1525085801_thumb.jpg

Welcome to FTF.

Made from some stuff Rich Mc sent in a swap.

He said it was Wendy Eider Chunky Yarn.

post-47446-0-01885500-1525099591_thumb.jpg

I like the O ring idea guys, looks good and is durable.

Actual Eastern Hellgramite

post-47446-0-72948000-1525101405_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site. I don't tie Helgramites. They might be in my area, but I've never seen any.

They are. Ive been bitten by them while seining eel grass in Lake George to catch grass shrimp for bait.

Yep. O-rings.

The real thing can be nasty. I use to roll rocks to grab them and not a few gave me a real nip. The guys who gatner and sell them earn their money.

Rocco

As I said, I don't actually tie Helgramites because I've never seen them.

I DO, however, tie Dragonfly Nymphs, which would probably do in a pinch.

Richmond Flies 21.JPG

Richmond Flies 28.JPG

Hey thanks everybody as this was my first post. I appreciate the warm welcome. I just learned this pattern from a Reuben Martin video via youtube. I'd like to tie some even bigger maybe 7XL hooks. Helgies get quite the size and yes bass will not look past them thanks again all.

Russ Blessing invented a fly to imitate a hellgramite. He called it a "Woolly Bugger", I wonder what ever happened to it?

The bugger in every color is by far my go too all day I'm simply tying for enjoyment and hoping that it inspires more to get into tying flies and enjoying this sport.

The bugger in every color is by far my go too all day I'm simply tying for enjoyment and hoping that it inspires more to get into tying flies and enjoying this sport.

And it's still an excellent hellgramite imitation. Why look elsewhere?

One reason to look elsewhere is that everyone and his brother are tossing buggers. And any tyro can make them by the dozens.

Another is that, as fanatic tyers, we have so damn much invested in tying materials we look for new ways to use them.

And there is an extra satisfaction in experimenting and --sometimes-- getting it right.

By the way, Harry Murray also has a bugger-style hellgramite pattern using black dyed ostrich hurl bunches as the tail and black chennile with palmered saddle hackle as the forward section. Some add short black rubber strands as pinchers. It works on smallies and back in the day I even had a few steelhead hammer it.

Rocco

Thanks Rocco much appreciated . I was actually out for a few hours this morning but the water is still pretty high and fast but the day was beautiful. Tight lines friend.