Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
finsandpins

First dubbing brush

I made my first brush today trying to put together a small baitfish pattern. My formula was 2 inches Icelandic sheep hair core, 4 inches craft fur, and 6 inches of sf blend. I think I need to taper the craft fur a bit from the head of the brush the tail. Feedback would be awesome since Im a newbie.

Note - the colors will probably catch fish but I just used some colors that I had plenty of because I knew Id make mistakes!

Gunnar Brammer Dubbing Brush

YouTube

1. Tie like a pro ep 1 & 2

2. Brammer's Big Fly Fiber Dubbing Brush

First, welcome to the site.

Second ... your formula 2" + 4" + 6" = 12 inches of dubbing brush.

I'm not sure what 12 inches of material looks like, after being wrapped around 1 inch or less of hook shank, but I imagine it's very bulky.

Have you tied a fly with your brush, yet? Pictures?

Hard to give you any feedback on the small amount of information you've given. Plus, I'm not sure what feedback your asking for.

First, welcome to the site.

Second ... your formula 2" + 4" + 6" = 12 inches of dubbing brush.

I'm not sure what 12 inches of material looks like, after being wrapped around 1 inch or less of hook shank, but I imagine it's very bulky.

Have you tied a fly with your brush, yet? Pictures?

Hard to give you any feedback on the small amount of information you've given. Plus, I'm not sure what feedback your asking for.

post-64544-0-57483400-1555175388_thumb.jpeg

Sorry thought I had picture attached with original post. The formula had more to do with layering. Start by laying 2 inches of sheep hair to form core then adding some craft fur on top and then finished of with some sf to add some more. It’s not overly bulky, but shape isn’t quite right. Honestly im just horrific at tying but I have too much fun doing it.

Actually, that looks better than my imagination allowed.

Looks like you're doing just fine.

I'm assuming your 2, 4, and 6" measurements are the lengths of the actual material and not the linear amount laid down the wire. make your brushes a little sparser and make your wraps closer together. The pictured fly looks tapered to me. Wet it and look at it. I also don't start the brush that far down the hook shank.