Fly Tying
Gustav F.

Stonfo bobbin VS Rite bobbin

As the title says I'm interested in knowing how you think these two bobbins differ. Pros and cons on each? Which one would you rather use?

/G

I was going to purchase a Rite bobbin but was steared towards the Stonfo instead. I haven't used the Rite but was told by Dave Hise of Caster's Fly shop that the adjustment on the Stonfo is superior to the Rite. Stonfo has an numbered dial to adjust the tension. I think both bobbins are high quality products and you can't go wrong with either one. I still think the Tiemco Ceramic bobbin is probably the best I have used.I think it boils down to personal preferrence just like Dyna King vs. Renzetti.

I was going to purchase a Rite bobbin but was steared towards the Stonfo instead. I haven't used the Rite but was told by Dave Hise of Caster's Fly shop that the adjustment on the Stonfo is superior to the Rite. Stonfo has an numbered dial to adjust the tension. I think both bobbins are high quality products and you can't go wrong with either one. I still think the Tiemco Ceramic bobbin is probably the best I have used.I think it boils down to personal preferrence just like Dyna King vs. Renzetti.

Yes they both seem to be high-end products. Though the stonfo one is cheaper from were I can get it, but I don't quite like the big red plastic knob on the bobbin. Also I wonder about that steel-tube, how it is like compared to ceramic tubes.

I agree with you on TMC, they have the prime bobbins in my opinion.

Yes they both seem to be high-end products. Though the stonfo one is cheaper from were I can get it, but I don't quite like the big red plastic knob on the bobbin. Also I wonder about that steel-tube, how it is like compared to ceramic tubes.

I agree with you on TMC, they have the prime bobbins in my opinion.

The Stonfo fits nicely in my hand. I have big hands though. I haven't had any problems with the hardened steel tip. Once you get the tension right, it's a nice bobbin.

The question about steel versus ceramic tubes is moot as far as I am concerned. It must be remembered that steel tubes have been around since the day the first bobbins were made; whereas, ceramic tubes have been around for less than 50 years. Yes, there are those tiers who have ultimately cut grooves in the end of the metal tube with their tying thread; but,I would venture that those who have had this experience were commercial tiers who tied dozens of flies a day; day-in-day-out. Unless you plan on tying flies in comparable quantities, I doubt you will ever notice a difference between the two. And yes, I have both, as well as some with the ceramic inserts in the very tips and I can't see any difference of any kind. What is more important to me is the tube length; shorter for small flies; longer for large flies.

As it is your nickle, buy whatever floats your boat; not what will necessarily float any one else's.

Cheers,

perchjerker

I have a Rite. It is a very nice, well built tool, but it's a bit tricky to get adjusted correctly. Once setup and adjusted, it works OK, but, really, is no better than my ceramic wishbone bobbins. In fact, because of their ease of use I prefer to use the wishbones.

I have the stonfo and a rite bobbin. I have great success with the rite bobbin but it takes a second to dial in. I like the stonfo but I have 10-15 year old danville thread in 6/0 and I can't use the stonfo bobbin. the thread has a too thick off a spool so I can only get about a half a crack on it. It will com apart in my hand when I am tying. I do use the stonfo more if I am using 8/0 or smaller or with newer thread. But 75% of my thread is the older spools soo...

Thank you for the information guys! If I'm gettting one of these it's leaning towards rite, but who knows what happens!

Rite bobbin has a new model where the tube is tapered on the exit end so you can half hitch with the bobbin. You can see it in action on there web site. ritebobbin.com. Is pretty neat I think.

The question about steel versus ceramic tubes is moot as far as I am concerned. It must be remembered that steel tubes have been around since the day the first bobbins were made; whereas, ceramic tubes have been around for less than 50 years. Yes, there are those tiers who have ultimately cut grooves in the end of the metal tube with their tying thread; but,I would venture that those who have had this experience were commercial tiers who tied dozens of flies a day; day-in-day-out. Unless you plan on tying flies in comparable quantities, I doubt you will ever notice a difference between the two. And yes, I have both, as well as some with the ceramic inserts in the very tips and I can't see any difference of any kind. What is more important to me is the tube length; shorter for small flies; longer for large flies.

As it is your nickle, buy whatever floats your boat; not what will necessarily float any one else's.

Cheers,

perchjerker

I have some Matarelli bobbins (non-ceramic tubes) that I've been using since the early 1980's. So, far I've only cut a groove in one of these and that was done with kevlar thread (which I no longer use). This groove was quickly and easily polished out with a small piece of emery cloth.

ritebobbin2.jpg

RITE™ STANDARD BOBBIN

• Ceramic Thread Tube

• Small Diameter Barrel

• Removable Vinyl Grip

• Solid Brass Arm

• "Click" Drag Adjustment

• 1-9 ounces of thread tension

• The most versatile of all fly tying bobbins

• Price $21.99

I have around 30 RITE Bobbins, some with steel and some with ceramic, and both do well. I prefer the ceramic, probably because I have used them so much. Thus far, I have never broken a tip. The dial on the end to adjust thread tension is inset into the handle and isn't as prominent as that on the Stonfo, but if you notice the Stonfo model is a new addition to their line. It looks like an exact knock-offs of the RITE, except for the adjustment knob, which appears nice, and possibly a slight upgrade. Thus far, I have never had a problem at all with tension adjustment on the RITE. They are quality bobbins I will continue buying and using.

stefanobobbin.jpg

stefanobobbin2.jpg

Stonfo Elite Bobbin: Fly Tying Bobbins & Tools

stonfo-elite-bobbin

$19.95

The STONFO Bobbin appears to be a good bobbin, too, and the larger adjustement knob may help some. With the RITEs, I adjust tension with one finger; I would think you'd probably adjust with two on the STONFO, but that's no big deal. The STONFO is around $2.00 cheaper on the two sites I checked.

It doesn't appear to me that you can go wrong with either, but I plan to stick with the RITE Bobbin for my tying because, for me, they are tried and true!! I love the way they handle and work. I am a veterinarian. I have a lot of very nice instrumentation in my clinic, from surgery instruments to scopes and monitoring units. None of them appear to be any more well built than the RITE Bobbins, so that is a BIG plus from me. I love high quality, well made instruments, and RITE is one of those.

Ray

Just received a Stonfo Elite bobbin. Seems well made and the tension adjustment is smooth. This is my first bobbin with tension control having use Tiemco ceramic before.

Not sure if they are for me. With the sheer treads I use the steel shaft sticks out beyond the tension knob and is quite sharp in my hand. The numbers are pointless IMO. Thread control is good and apart from the above gripe fits nicely in the hand. Personally I would prefer a slightly shorter stem. Changing threads is time consuming.

Will I buy another? No.

Never used the stonfo but i have been slowly transitioning to the Rites. I didnt notice much difference starting out, but now when i go back to one of the Griffins or Dr Slicks it is very noticeable. Maybe I'll pick up a stonfo or two just to try them out. as long as their thread control is on a par with the Rite then I dont think it will be an issue.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind an adjustable tension bobbin. When I tie, I vary the thread tension by palming the spool in my hand and the amount of "pull" I put on the thread. Different parts of a fly require different thread tensions. IMO, having the tension adjusted and controlled by the bobbin is asking for trouble (thread breakage). I see it as just kind of a gimmick.

That said, I use the Rite bobbins just because I like the way the spool sits in my hand. The tension control is set just above the point that the thread would roll from the spool just hanging there. I also prefer the "Magnum" Rite cuz I feel I have better control and a longer reach, but that's just my preference. I also use the old "wishbone" bobbins with the arms bent out a little to ease the tension.

As with most tying tools, it's just a matter of preference, and what you get used to.

HalfDunn - With the Rite bobbins, the post goes from the outside in, so there is nothing sticking out in your palm. BUT, some thread spools (Griffith Sheer, Pearsall's) are too short and will not work without a spacer. For the Griffith spools, I cut the end off a plastic spool, Pearsall's spools require 2 spacers (one on each side) to center the spool under the tube.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind an adjustable tension bobbin. When I tie, I vary the thread tension by palming the spool in my hand and the amount of "pull" I put on the thread. Different parts of a fly require different thread tensions. IMO, having the tension adjusted and controlled by the bobbin is asking for trouble (thread breakage). I see it as just kind of a gimmick.

That said, I use the Rite bobbins just because I like the way the spool sits in my hand. The tension control is set just above the point that the thread would roll from the spool just hanging there. I also prefer the "Magnum" Rite cuz I feel I have better control and a longer reach, but that's just my preference. I also use the old "wishbone" bobbins with the arms bent out a little to ease the tension.

As with most tying tools, it's just a matter of preference, and what you get used to.

HalfDunn - With the Rite bobbins, the post goes from the outside in, so there is nothing sticking out in your palm. BUT, some thread spools (Griffith Sheer, Pearsall's) are too short and will not work without a spacer. For the Griffith spools, I cut the end off a plastic spool, Pearsall's spools require 2 spacers (one on each side) to center the spool under the tube.

Thanks Chase Creek. I am with you on thread control.biggrin.png