Fly Tying
Chase Creek

Keeping track of patterns

When I come across an interesting pattern on the web (usually on this site) I print it out, 3 hole punch it, and put it in a 3 ring binder. I seperate them by type (wet, dry, stremers, etc.). If I don't know what I want to tie, I browse thru the binder and can usually find something that looks good. Been doing this long enough that I have 3 binders full and am working on another. Saves trying to remember where you saw a pattern later.

Great idea. I've been printing patterns but not making a good effort to keep them together, and they somehow migrate to seldom-visited locations in my office. Thanks for the simple, but overlooked, tip!

--Bill

I do both systems and the reminds me alex I still have your cds Ill get them out tomorrow sorry that I dropped the ball!!!!

I do both systems and the reminds me alex I still have your cds Ill get them out tomorrow sorry that I dropped the ball!!!!

Good to see that one of your balls finally dropped D5, I know Ridderbos was starting to worry if you'd ever enter manhood. Congrats

I have one big fishing file on my puter, inside that I have the pics of the flies in their own file for type of fly and then on the picture it's self I right click it, go to properties and click summaries and put down all the info for the recipe. Works well for me, I have over 1000 photos like that in my file.

Ashby

I also keep a catalogue of patterns on my notebook. The primary folder is "fly tying" Sub-folders or sub-directories include: Dry, emerger, wet, salmon, streamer, nymphs, stoneflies, realistic flies, midges, warm water, saltwater, Lucas flies, and a folder for technical documents, how to pages, etc.

Being mildly obsessive-compulsive, like all lab staff and Dead Head tapers, I have this file backed up to our desktop and to the free-standing hard drive for my notebook. Like financial data, three copies.

Next big project is to start an inventory data base,

I use fly-2000 by mustad......i save to a file then resize the pic to fit then copy and paste. i then save all info to a cd..i've have over 10.000 patterns in all my collection between, books, mags, and online stuff...