Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
USCGFlyGuy

A couple more with my new materials

Finally got to toss these woolhead mullet in the water and they are everything I could ask for and more, so I tied a few more variations. So far only a few trout, but i will find you Redfish!

Smaller can be better - Size 4

post-46470-0-51781700-1394457865_thumb.jpg

post-46470-0-21157700-1394457875_thumb.jpg

Pre-Barred craft fur from Hobby Lobby - Stuff is kinda funky (in a bad way)

post-46470-0-08717700-1394457903_thumb.jpg

And a slider...

post-46470-0-42336300-1394457929_thumb.jpg

cool stuff. Those wool heads should be killer around the schools of finger mullet, especially if you get a mullet run where you fish.

CGFlyGuy, Thanks for posting your ties. I am going to try and tie some mullet flies before too long. Seems like a lot of folks like them. I took SteveP's advice and bought some roving wool althought until someone showed it to me, i hadnt the foggiest idea what i was looking for. Going to see what that stuff looks like on a mullet head. What part of the country are you fishing? Speckled trout have taken a beating in NC and VA from the weather up here recently (PJ posted an article on the fish kills in another thread). No telling whether we will see any this spring.

I am in Panama City, so there are plenty of mullet agn54. I'm sorry to hear about you specks mudskimmer. I hope they show up! Enjoy using the wool.

Dig the mullet for sure, will put a fish or two in the box. The barred craft fur from hobby lobby kinda sucks, almost to wispy to tie with.

Dig the mullet for sure, will put a fish or two in the box. The barred craft fur from hobby lobby kinda sucks, almost to wispy to tie with.

Thanks, the craft fur certainly looks good until you feel it and start cutting it off. Had to cut off like half the patch before I could get enough long fibers for this one fly.

I've got some of that Hobby Lobby stuff also - I agree, it ain't much for baitfish patterns, but I like it for shrimp, etc. It's just got a buggy look to it. Another alternative is grizzly bird fur. If you poke around on Ebay, sometimes you can find some really nice deals on it.

Bird Fur is great stuff. This fly is bird fur with a couple paltered spey hackle and a mallard flank.

IMG_0856.jpg

Awesome fly Dave. Is the bird fur paltered or just tied in clumps? I love the stuff as well, it makes great wings and has fantastic movement in the water

Awesome site Rich, now Dave and PJ are going to go nuts with their new outfits

Thanks…It's bird fur tied one on each side, one on top X2, then 3-4 spey hackle and palmered finish with mallard flank.

I couldn't get the link to work, however, I got some leopard print from the one PJ listed…going to make some footie pajamas.

I got some leopard print from the one PJ listed…going to make some footie pajamas.

Ummmmmmm.. no need for pictures when you're done ... 'kay?