Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Wooly Mantis?

Before wool goes out of fashion with spring finally arriving, I tried another attempt at coming up with a mantis shrimp pattern. This one for tarpon. I added an epoxy lip for the tail (front). Does that make this a crank bait? I should be tying up some shad flies now for something I actually have a good chance of catching but that would be too practical. Don't know if this has any prayer of catching anything. I can always cut off the hook point and let the kids add it to their stuffed animal collection.

post-50086-0-27908800-1395573484_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-24023500-1395573515_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-92726200-1395573538_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-18749900-1395574319_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good to my eye. It would seem like a good pattern to have ride hook-point-up, Is there a reason that you didn't?

That's a great-looking fly - no doubt it'll catch as long as the tail section doesn't make the fly do something crazy. If I read about some lunatic being arrested for casting flies off Key Bridge, I'll know you've been out there testing it.

Shoebop, my thinking on the hook point down was mostly because all the shrimpy tarpon flies I have seen were that way. A secondary reason that I thought about as I was assembling it was I wanted it to also look like a wooly mammoth's head to commemorate the merciful end to this mini ice age that some of us have experienced this winter. However, you bring up an interesting point. Nearly all the shad I've caught with clousers (hook point up) are in the tip of the upper jaw which i think is the sweet spot for tarpon. Less chance of their bony mouth and gill plates to cut you off. I wonder why more tarpon flies aren't tied hook point up?? Might need our resident tarpon expert Capt Bob to chime in?

PJ, My office mates already think I am nuts chasing tarpon around here. I hope it stays that way. BTW, The rooftop is much closer than the Bridge but I can't check the action of the fly from up there.

Hey, let them think you're nuts. While you're at it, you can mention the poisonous snakes, green head flies, saltwater crocodiles, WWII minefields, malarial swamps, anarchist gunmen, etc., that we've got over here. No fish either. The ES is a terrible place - the only reason I'm here is that my car broke down on the way to the OBX, and I can't find my way out.

That;s a wicked looking fly, I'd like to hear how it works. I tie several critter flies hook down and they work very well, let us know.

The ES have no fish, it's a scientific fact…Right? I've been telling folks for years that NW Florida is a toxic waste dump, it hasn't worked out well.

Never cast to a tarpon here in middle TN myself but it seems that someone (I think it was Cpt.Bob) said that a tarpon could not be hooked with a fly that was tied with the hook point up. I bet Cpt.Bob will chime in when he gets a chance.

Hey, let them think you're nuts. While you're at it, you can mention the poisonous snakes, green head flies, saltwater crocodiles, WWII minefields, malarial swamps, anarchist gunmen, etc., that we've got over here. No fish either. The ES is a terrible place - the only reason I'm here is that my car broke down on the way to the OBX, and I can't find my way out.

Don't forget the 4-5 foot tide swings, oyster bars, and mudflats. I have seen more than a few boats high and dry waiting for the tide to turn.

That;s a wicked looking fly, I'd like to hear how it works. I tie several critter flies hook down and they work very well, let us know.

The ES have no fish, it's a scientific fact…Right? I've been telling folks for years that NW Florida is a toxic waste dump, it hasn't worked out well.

Thanks! I'll try swimming it in my fish tank to see if the tail makes it dive which is what I was aiming for. Hopefully, I can figure out how to post a video here. You got it right, I never see any fish there. Nada.

Well, I shot a little video of the fly in my saltwater refugium tank (mangrove and all). I am pretty happy how it looked (dove fast and rode level). I better write down the steps before I forget how I assembled it. I only could drag it a couple feet at a time so I don't know how it would do in some current.

Off topic, another milestone I managed to reach this weekend. My wife said it was nice I had a hobby and asked to borrow my nail polish. She finally realized I had a better selection than she did.

Looks deadly to me - that fly's gonna catch. Hey, your wife's nail polish request means you've finally joined the elite here at the hub of the fly tying fashion world. Better get started on your parade outfit. BTW: You'll know you've reached the next level when you answer the doorbell to find Lady Gaga standing on your porch with her hand out.

I am all for sharing in my marriage but there is a limit. Wifey is not allowed in my fly tying stuff or in my girly closet.....Wait a minute I need to make sure she is not looking over my shoulder.