Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Yough Minnows

Are you referring to a specific species of fish as chubs, darters, etc. or what could be the young fry of any fish? I would suggest contacting the local fish and game officers that cover that particular area or call the state office and ask the fisheries biologists.

Is it local to you Kevin or does it involve a long trip? If its local you can make a simple minnow trap to see what's there and release the fish safely after.

A 2lt fizzy drink bottle. Cut off the narrow neck end just where it widens into the main bottle.

Turn that round and push into the bottle so the narrow neck is inside the wide bottle. It should hold tight enough. Use a couple of staples if needed but don't glue in or fix permanently.

Punch plenty of 4mm holes in the fat end of the bottle to allow water through and place bread or sweetcorn or some other smelly bait in the bottle. Sink the bottle into the margins of a river and the minnows swim in but cant get out.

You release by pulling the cut off neck back out.

I always used corn meal with a few drops of anise oil in minnow traps. The oil comes out of the opening and makes a film on the water. Minnows flock in! Be aware that minnows are a specific kind of small fish. Lots of other small fish might not be attracted to a trap, particularly the benthic (bottom dwellers) species like gobies, etc.

Yes this river is local. I have sent an email to the DNR. I was just looking for some info from other here that I know are around here. I did also post this to the PA forum.

Kevin

Kevin, I fish the yough lake and there are a ton of alewives(not sure if that spelling is correct) in the lake, it could be possible for them to be in the river as well. I fish the river around the confluence area and haven't noticed the minnows in that section of river

Rodney

Kevin, I fish the yough lake and there are a ton of alewives(not sure if that spelling is correct) in the lake, it could be possible for them to be in the river as well. I fish the river around the confluence area and haven't noticed the minnows in that section of river

Rodney

The main section I'm thinking about is the Confluence area. I want to take my streamers there. I do know there are Alewives and Mooneyes in the river. What I am wanting is a color scheme for the river. Some is olive some tan. A friend told me olive or white. Primary white.

Kevin

Most of the people I know that fish streamers in that area use white with a small amount of flash material.

Rodney