Fly Tying
Hardyrod1974

Fugly Packer How well do these work?

Does anybody out there, have and use a Fugly Packer?

I saw a video of Pat Cohen using one and wondered if it is worth the $30 price. I would be using it to tie #6- 1/0 bass bugs.

Thank you

All I ever use is the barrel of an old Bic stick pen - works just fine... one end the packer and the other end the tapered half hitch tool...

There's a huge number of ways to pack the hair on a hook.

I've tried the "Brassie" ... which bent the first time I used it.

I tried the ink pen tube ... but never could get it to do anything except slip off and fold up the hairs.

I cut a small "V" into a piece of aluminum. That kind of works, and it's what I use at present.

I'm waiting for a chance to try one out. From all I've seen, nothing will pack deer hair tighter than a "Fugly Packer".

Does anybody out there, have and use a Fugly Packer?

I saw a video of Pat Cohen using one and wondered if it is worth the $30 price. I would be using it to tie #6- 1/0 bass bugs.

Thank you

People who have them seem to swear by them.

It is useful. I don't pack as much hair as I should but I would ask Mike West om this forum for his advice as he works alot of bugs.

I'm waiting for a chance to try one out. From all I've seen, nothing will pack deer hair tighter than a "Fugly Packer".

Same. They seem to work better than anything else. It's on my "To buy" list for one of these days.

I don't have one but I can see how they would work better then anything else. I want one but for what they are, 30+ dollars seems obscene for some small pieces of bent metal. I will add a poopdeck packer to my list of things to make. Should be pretty simple and CHEAP!!!

I will add a poopdeck packer to my list of things to make. Should be pretty simple and CHEAP!!!

That just doesn't sound right.😁

Ok, First, We need to determine the type of fly you are tying. If your tying small flies for trout like muddlers or small divers, than many styles of packers work fine. BUT! If you are doing larger bass and pike flies then I totally recommend it. Nothing packs stacked deer hair top water poppers like a fugley. Just my opinion. Now I must confess I made my own. Just mild steel screwed to crate banding material. Then I had the guys in the chrome shop nickel plate it for me. (My job has its perks)

But I obviously copied a Fugley. This is what it looks like.

post-19822-0-04361800-1542118076_thumb.jpg

CRATE BANDING!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT GENIUS!! I was trying to think what I could use for the spring. That will put the build cost at $0.00. Thanks for the tip!

Works fine lasts a long time. You won't lose it on your tying desk.

Well worth the price for large flies requiring lots of tight packed hair.

Skinny

SILKHDH,

If you would, please supply a few dimensions and some information about your hair packer.

Thickness and width of the steel? About how long are the steel pieces after forming them? I've only seen pictures of the Frugly on-line, never saw one in person.

When you formed the steel to get the ridges (bumps) did you heat the steel first?

Were the ridges formed by just bending by hand in a vise in different directions or did you make some sort of die and press a sort rod down to form the bend?

Thank you very much.

Rich