Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ralphs007

Down's Chest Box

I noticed no one has posted much about these Chest Boxes in over ten years.If you have one,would you buy one again,and what are your recommendation on the amount of trays to buy for trout fishing only.I like to carry several different hook sizes for each pattern I tie,but my fly boxes are starting to explode,tongue.png.

I've seen some really descent prices on eBay,but I'm still on the fence.

Thanks in advance

Ralph

I considered a Downs box but got a Richardson instead. Glad I did. I have three now. The newer Richardson I bought 10 years ago and two old Fye boxes. Fye owned the company before Rex Richardson bought it. The quality is superb.

Hi Ralph,

I have had one since I bought it new in April of 1998. I've used it just about every time that I've gone fishing since then. I have trays for trout, and trays for bass. The only thing that's happened to it since it was brand new have been that the straps have faded from black to brown from all the sun exposure. The trays are still in perfect condition, no cracks, no fading, no embrittlement from age. It's a breeze to change out trays since you just pull on any one of the rods that hold them in place. I like carrying two trays at a time, three at the most. The compartments hold quite a few flies. I almost always carry the foam one for streamers and large nymphs. Below are what my bass trays look like from last year. I added my dry fly tray pic for trout also, even though it's not attached. The only drawback is that it's not water proof. If you get caught in a thunderstorm, or an all day rain without a rain coat, some of the fly's may get a little wet.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-98613300-1490897777_thumb.jpg post-12032-0-42725000-1490897805_thumb.jpg post-12032-0-55370500-1490897828_thumb.jpg

Hi, I am new to the forum but not to fly fishing or fly tying. I own 2 Down's boxes( a 5 tray and 3 Tray) and 2 Richardson's (3 Tray Ultra-lite and a 4 Tray Deluxe). Both have advantages and disadvantages. The Down's are lighter in weight and have interchangeable trays. They are also less expensive. The Richardson's are just plain CLASSIC IMO. Very high quality but are expensive. I see nothing wrong with a 4 tray Down's. 5 trays in either chest box are just too much of a good thing IMO. The box tends to get in the way. I use the front tray in ALL my boxes as a work station and a place to keep indicator's, split shot,tippet rings, etc. Good luck in your search. I think you will enjoy either box. The only time you will catch me on a stream without one of my chest boxes is when I hike and fish the small mountain streams here. Then I wear a lanyard and use a small Fishpond waist pack with a couple of conventional fly boxes.