Fly Tying
Philly

Soft Hackles for Panfish

Sort of an off shoot of "Nymphs for Bluegills". Haven't tied soft hackles in the last 10 years, but was looking to add something new to my pan fish box. These are tied on Size 10 Partridge Klinkhammer hooks.

Patridge & Green

post-309-0-49110100-1489369656_thumb.jpg

Partridge & Orange

post-309-0-59972300-1489369719_thumb.jpg

Partridge & Yellow

post-309-0-73072800-1489369753_thumb.jpg

Partridge & Purple

post-309-0-03987900-1489369804_thumb.jpg

These two are a variation. I used a strand of spinner bait skirt, with a light coat of UV resin over it

Partridge & Green

post-309-0-77640300-1489369854_thumb.jpg

Partridge & Yellow

post-309-0-40815300-1489369873_thumb.jpg

Thanks Philly, too many soft hackles, too many sizes? Not in my fly boxe!

There is no Panfish law stating you have to acquire a wide range of soft hackle sizes and patterns to fish any of them. There have

been times when I fished a popper dropper combination and caught far more fish and had more strikes on my soft hackle dropper

than on the popper. Pick one of two patterns and a single size and try a few. I haven't found Panfish to be picky.

Stippled is, of course, entirely correct about this.

Nontheless, some of his statements bear careful scrutiny because, after all, he lets fish put their lips on those museum quality poppers.#kissed.by.bass.more.than.BillDance.

I like soft hackles. All my nymphs are soft hackles, mostly tied with starling. Now that I'm getting back the feel of tying the standard ones. I'll add a few of them and some flymphs in size 12 and size 14 to my trout box. There are 25 hooks in the size 10 Partridge pack. I'm going to the limit the colors to the four pictured and a Partridge and Black and one other color combination in the standard and spinner bait skirt format. See which one works best.

For the fall CFR retreat, we tie flies for the ladies to fish with on the lake. I think I'll either do some on the size 10 either with a pink body and purple hackle or purple body with pink hackle. Which color combination do ya'll think will work better?

Stippled is, of course, entirely correct about this.

Nontheless, some of his statements bear careful scrutiny because, after all, he lets fish put their lips on those museum quality poppers.#kissed.by.bass.more.than.BillDance.

Good one! Some people fish with high end rods and reels and use $2.00 flies. I fish with old Shakespeare Wonderods, Medalist reels, and $40 poppers.