Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What do you do with your fish?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

I let a lot of fish go, but this is one of my favorite things to do with them when I do keep them.

I put'em on the barbie. A rainbow and a char.

20190628_175159-XL.jpg

20190628_175536-L.jpg

20190628_180356-XL.jpg

20190628_180702-XL.jpg

Mmm, where's the tarter sauce.

I also like to smoke'm. What do you do with yours?

#2 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

Other than salmon or core fish I release them back, in fact I can probably count on my fingers how many wild trout I have kept in the past 15 years.  But I do like my salmon smoked either warm or cold doesn't matter

#3 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

Every day on the water I ask my anglers if they want to keep a few fish or just catch and release... Whatever they decide... is just fine with me. I carefully clean, cut and package any fish we keep - no extra charge...

Florida is really protective of our fisheries so I dont have slightest problem with my anglers keeping fish. As a guide Im not allowed to keep a fish when I have a charter aboard...

Many years ago I held a commercial hook and line ticket so Ive been on both sides of fishing.
Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,191 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

As with almost all my decisions ... Wife's input is the determining factor.

She doesn't like the taste of Large Mouth Bass ... I don't keep any.

She doesn't like the taste of Catfish ... I don't keep any.

She loves the taste of the Sunfish I catch ... any species ... so I keep enough to have a "mess" in the freezer.  When it's gone, I keep some more.

She loves the taste of Crappie ... same deal and Sunfish.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 robow7

robow7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:52 PM

I release 95% of the fish I catch but I will keep a few panfish such as crappie, bluegill, red ear, fish that can procreate in large numbers. 

It's the only thing that I allow myself to eat that is deep fried.  Yummy

Btw, that on the grill above looks delicious.   

#6 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

Certainly, anything deep fried is the tastiest. Black rock fish deep fried is the best.

#7 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

I will eat perch and crappie caught through the ice. Other then that I C&R all freshwater fare. Now saltwater I very much enjoy flounder, cod, striped bass and sea bass. My favorite fish are tuna, sword fish and halibut but I've never fished for them.

#8 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

All of my fish gets fried on a well used and seasoned iron skillet with minimal oil. So much tastier than deep fried in a big pot or pan. Usually cooked either with some everglades seasoning and lemon pepper in coarse ground cornmeal.. or a pre-seasoned zatarans or Louisiana fish fry mix. I need to try to smoke or grill some someday, but with a household of 5 that LOVE fish, Im afraid to mess up.

All legal crappie and snook go directly to the fridge or freezer. Thats usually what I have.
On the rare occasion that I make it to the salt, mahi, snapper, redfish, grouper, trout, and flounder come home too.

Bluegill, and other panfish go to with my parents, or to some people in the community who will always take it.. even a few.
My wife refuses to eat anything not filleted. And filleting bluegill is a pain. If only she knew the taste of a panfish fried with skin and tasty fins.

Bass and catfish almost always get released, unless the freezer is empty.

Attached Files

#9 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:05 PM

Cant believe this. Youse guys talking about grotesque view of dead fish. Shame shame.....
Fried with hush puppies and cole slaw. Usually bunches of Gulf swimps to go along.
13-EBF39-C-A2-D8-4-DF5-98-B1-0251-E023-A
C482-EB07-D747-401-E-9284-C37-AEEF66942.
Misipi
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#10 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

I keep one mess of bluegills a year, if any. They're gutted, headed, scaled, cornmeal-breaded and pan-fried in the cast iron skillet, with another skillet of fried potatoes with onions alongside, and cornbread in the oven. Sweet tea or an ice cold beer to drink. Not fancy, but hard to beat. :) 

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,130 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

Can't remember the last time I kept a fish. Don't get me wrong I love a good fish dinner it's one of my favs, but I just don't care to keep and kill any fish. Just my own personal choice.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:41 AM

i love to eat fish but i just put them back to swim another day

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#13 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:35 AM

Depends on the species.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#14 niveker

niveker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

I only keep a fish (trout only) under certain circumstances: if I damaged the fish in some way and it won't survive, when camping, or when I know I'll be visiting my Dad soon after, as he loves trout.  So maybe 3-4 times per year, and I fish several times/week in the warm months.  

And I never keep any pan-fish or Bass.  Last year I was fishing for the first time with my new brother in law, who's from Pennsylvania.  I pulled in a slab of a Crappie and he nearly had a heart attack when I threw her back.  LOL. 

#15 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

I generally release them all with the hope of catching them again.

"I am not against golf, since I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout."
- Paul O'Neil