Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
texag17

Fly line from Sierra

I am looking at purchasing a new line for my fly reel. I currently have a cabelas RLS 6 wt combo if that helps on which line to choose. I am trying to save a little money and I came across Sierra.com It looks like they sell models that aren't made anymore. I mainly fish in central Texas small rivers and creeks for black bass. Can anyone recommend a fly line from this link: https://www.sierra.com/fishing-lines-and-fly-lines~d~132/

It is all Scientific angler and rio brands or if anyone knows of another good discount website. I have seen websites where you pick what kind of line and they just send you one such as 6wt weight forward for example. I haven't ever done this and I am kind of weary to do so.

I'm, probably, the "cheapest" person on this site. All of my lines are bought on sale or from Ebay. I am fresh water only, fishing Central Florida 95% of the time.

$10.00 on Ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

I use these on most of my rods and am completely happy with the performance.

I've done some fishing north of Houston, Texas. Make sure you hit the drainage creeks (bayous).

In your link I saw none that I would recommend, because they all seem to be specialty application lines.

To go with Mikechell's link, the DT6F version (also made in China, $10,50) is sold on ebay by a different vendor

I would be more likely to buy here- https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=23802

or https://discountfishingdenver.com/products/factory-overrun-fly-lines-double-taper

or https://discountfishingdenver.com/products/factory-overrun-fly-line-weight-forward-floating

I would also probably use a DT7F or WF7F on that rod, because at the 30'-50' distance that I fish a heavier than marked line just works better for me.

DT (double taper) lines are more versatile than WF, imo, because they can roll cast better and mend better, WF excels at overhead distance casting, not useful on my creeks. So for me on that rod/combo it would be DT7F.

fwiw, some Walmart stores sell Cortland Fair Play lines for ~$15-20 that work fine for me, only draw back being I have only seen WF lines at the stores near me.

Plenty of good lines on that site, so not quite sure what previous posts are about. The SA Mastery 6wt WF is a no-thrills but serviceable line that was at one time a standard for fly lines, and would still serve well for the application described. The Rio Intouch Outbound is an outstanding line and that's a very good price (I'm going to have to get a couple myself) but it is an overweighted line with a short heavy head. This has the advantage of being useful for throwing in wind, casting distance, and turning over heavy flies but is not quite as general purpose a line as the SA line. While I do like DT lines in close in situations, I typically much prefer the versatility of a WF but then my fishing venues vary quite a bit so I tend to disfavor niche lines. YMMV.

There are 3 lines for 6 weight rods. A Rio and a Hardy Line both at $49.00. The Scientific Angler at $29.99 would be my choice. There is NOTHING wrong with these lines, time marches on and new products MUST be introduces to get anglers to by more stuff. I have 3 SA "Big Fly" lines that I got last year. They are working out fine. They were designed for casting larger weighted or wind resistant patterns.

Most of the rest of these lines are special use lines for Scandi, Skagit, or Spey Casting.

This is the one I would thing will work for you: SA Mastery

If you ever get the chance to go into one of their stores, do it. They sometimes have some really insane prices on close outs. I picked up a 70 dollar shirt for $3.50 last year. It was one size too big for me, but it had Bug Shield stuff in it, and I was going camping in Idaho. So what the hell. Shirt worked and I still wear it with the sleeves rolled up.

When all else fails there is always Cortland 333 you can get most anywhere. Not the fanciest but they last real well.

I have one of the cabelas lines I fish mostly warm water often in the summer the line gets kinda tacky and weird when it's hot out.

Cabela's website has the White River Fly Shop (Bass Pro house brand) "Hobbs Creek" WF floating lines for $19.99 in the "Bargain Cave" section. User reviews are pretty good. They have WF6F in stock.