Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Couple of cork poppers

Bought a $2 bag of cork bottle stoppers yesterday at the craft store. I've since been hiding from the heat and humidity in the cool of my basement turning them into these little guys. Not factory-perfect, perhaps, but should be good enough for bluegills and the 10-12" bass they'll get presented to.

post-36073-0-56284300-1470970089_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-18297400-1470970107_thumb.jpg

They look just how a cork popper is suppose to look. They look perfect to me and I'm sure they will catch anything that a factory made foam popper head with an airbrushed paint job would catch. There's just something about cork poppers that appeal to me.

I don't know, it's like deer hair in a caddis, feathers in a streamer, calf hair wing in certain dry flies, there are other effective ( sometimes more effective) ways to tie but sometimes it seems there is nothing like the old standard. In this case cork. Nice !

Thanks for the compliments guys. smile.png I have to agree with you, Dave G. -- there's something about cork that just seems right for a popper. Deer hair is fun but laborious and messy and they get waterlogged. Foam--eh. I like and use foam for other types of flies, but I'm not a huge fan of foam poppers.

Hatchet Jack, the hook on the yellow popper is actually a streamer hook, #6, 3X long. I think it's a Daiichi hook, but I'm not sure the model number (it was part of a big lot of hooks I bought on eBay). The red one is on my preferred popper hook, the Mustad 3366. That particular one is a #4.

Bryon, they look great! wub.png

IMO, most poppers that are laboriously adorned are no more effective than basic versions, and agree with what the others have said. Your's have a very classic look to them.

As far as using cork, no it's not perfect, but neither is anything else we use, and each has it's own appeal IMO.

If you were selling these, and I was in the market for poppers & saw them displayed, I would have no hesitation with considering them for purchase. No, they're not "perfect", but may certainly be "ideal". smile.png

Be sure to sharpen up that point on the red one. Mustad 3366's always need sharpening if they're larger than size 10.

Brian, you're quite right about the 3366's needing sharpening--their only shortcoming IMHO. I did sharpen all of them up, and it appears the fish approve. smile.png

post-36073-0-52797400-1471446535_thumb.jpg